View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 03:15 AM

U.K. also.

Regretably this is also the case in the U.K. I used to buy special order steel pins for re-pinning musical box cylinders from a company in Bradford called Pinco. Made in the U.K., sold in the U.K. Then some bean counter had the bright idea of selling all their production equipment (highly modified grinders, impossible to replace) to India. Labor costs were much lower; the idea was to buy back the finished products which even after delivery and customs charges would have been cheaper than making them here. Problem was that having got the equipment the Indian company went bust. Scratch Pinco; the last remaining pin manufacturer left in Britain. Now I have to buy pins made in Germany.

Question. Are there any TV's still made in the U.S.A? A few years back I visited a friend in Muncie, Indiana. She had two TV's; one a huge Magnivox in a beutifull wood case, the other a Sony. When it was working, the Magnivox produced a lousy picture and smelt hot. The Sony? Reliable and watchable. Guess which one we used?

Sorry about the lousy spelling, I've had to switch to Firefox and although it has all the bells and whistles imaginable, one thing I can't find is a spellchecker.

Last edited by Combwork; 06-30-2009 at 03:19 AM.