View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Area Man

Registered Independent, and damn proud of it.

Good evening folks!

I would say I tend to be a bit Center-Left, but I do not officially ascribe to any particular party. This has not always been the case. The first politician I ever voted for was Ronald Reagan in 1984. I was so enraptured by the personality of the man that I voted without even bothering to learn anything about his opponent. I proudly registered as a Republican that same year. I remember telling my father about my admiration for Reagan and the GOP and his reply was, "I hope you're ready for the screwing you're about to receive. I might make it, but you.........well, you'll see. " Now, this mystified me. I just couldn't understand why my Dad, a WW2 Veteran, a hard working guy who raised seven kids in a very conservative environment, would say such a thing. Why would he want to pay high taxes, etc., etc.

Now, I know. It took twenty years, and a few shitty experiences, like having my life threatened, (By someone whom I know for a fact is extremely racist.), for saying I voted for a Democrat, for one, but.....................

I tried the Democratic Party for a while, but just don't much care for the way they go about trying to achieve their goals. And it's a shame, because I think if they just levelled with people and told it like it is,
they would get a lot more support. But, they don't. Instead they resort to things that do more to hurt their causes than help. Their response to the considerable power of right-wing propaganda is always half assed. They need to clean-up their act and start fighting fire with fire.

BOTH Parties need to stop trying to kill each other, and start working together, (As if we'll ever see that. But I can dream, can't I?), sooooo.......

A couple years or so ago I went to the local Voter Registrar and changed my status to Independent. Honestly the best feeling I've had in along time.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-18-2009 at 09:33 PM.