View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Though Carson didn't explain his views very well (and his views may be simply pandering to knuckle-draggers), many strict Islamists find democracy to run counter to the Koran (i.e., they object to laws made by man as opposed to those imposed by God in the Koran).

The (in)famous British Islamist, Anjem Choudary, has openly expressed his views that democracy and Islam are inherently incompatible for this very reason. Given the success of democracy is Islamic countries, he may have a point.

That said, this whole thing is a silly argument in that there is no chance that a Muslim (an athiest or a soci@list) would be elected to the Presidency any time in the foreseeable future.
During my lifetime, it has been accepted wisdom that there was no chance that a Catholic, a Jew, an African American or a woman could ever be elected to the presidency. We've had our Catholic and our African American. We may well get our woman this time around and, though we haven't had a Jewish president, we popularly elected a ticket that included a Jewish Veep.