View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Actually, while the word is used more than 200 times, it appears only once directly preceding "Jim".
Critics of the book are the ones who have made it the character's name.

I do agree it was not used in derogatory intent, it was the common descriptive of a person of color at that time.
People were also "gay" just by having good cheer.

it is what people today feel about it that counts....and what they want their kids to see in school. And you sort of miss the significance of "200"

here is what sums up my views: Wikipedia quote

In 2009 a Washington state high school teacher called for the removal of the novel from a school curriculum. The teacher, John Foley, called for replacing Adventures of Huckleberry Finn with a more modern novel.[41] In an opinion column that Foley wrote in the Seattle Post Intelligencer, he states that all "novels that use the ‘N-word' repeatedly need to go." He states that teaching the novel is not only unnecessary, but difficult due to the offensive language within the novel with many students becoming uncomfortable at "just hear[ing] the N-word." He views this change as "common sense," with Obama's election into office as a sign that Americans "are ready for a change," and that by removing these books from the reading lists, they would be following this change.[42]

it is one thing to read a book..........quite another to force people to read a book

Last edited by icenine; 11-01-2013 at 02:25 PM.