View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

At the time the constitutional amendment lowering the voting age to 18 passed, we still had a draft. A point often made was that individuals were old enough to fight and die for their country, but not old enough to have a say in who sent them there. Some fair logic there, if you ask me.

Nowadays, 18 is old enough to make a personal decision to join the military. That is a decision that will seriously impact the life of the individual and people around him or her.

I think the largest participation in voting by young people is among college students. I know that Obama energized the college-aged voters in a big way. The past two years of obstruction has likely caused dis-interest among many of those idealistic voters. I hope that doesn't have a lasting effect, because I still have hope that more members of my sons' generation will go forward with an idea that they need to think beyond their own needs and wants to the needs of the country their neighbors and their world. Mine know that they will be subjected to more excruciating lectures if they forget that principle.

Regards,

D-Ray