View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
So the one thing that report did not do was compare Canada and USA.
What are you talking about? Unless you're suggesting that Ontario is no longer part of Canada. Here's the link again, along with the relevant detail:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3999558/

Methods:

I used 2009 data from the IMS Brogan Canadian CompuScript and PharmaStat databases and studied the 100 most frequently dispensed generic products in Ontario, which has Canada's lowest generic prices. I compared these prices to those in public drug programs in the United States and New Zealand that use tendering. Using these alternative prices, I calculated the potential savings in Ontario.

Results:

Of the top 100 generic products, 82 were listed on an international formulary. In 90% of cases, generic products were less expensive in other countries. If Ontario had obtained the lowest comparator price for these products, the annual public sector and overall drug expenditure savings would have been $129 million and $245 million, respectively. Further, the province could have publicly paid for all these generic drugs – both public and private – and saved $87 million compared to current public sector expenditures.