View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I know it's wrong to dehumanize people, but I just about can't resist reading that headline as 'vicious baboons.'
Vicious buffoons (baboons, even). So much more accurate than "deplorables" dontcha think?

As an addendum...I posted this on another forum in response to the story of the altercation at The Metropolitan Club in NYC.

Quote:
This latest incarnation of The Metropolitan Club is just more proof of where American conservative Republicans are, at this point in time, and where they are headed.

We have several people running for local offices here in Illinois who come straight out of this mindset. The most vile is 2003 Miss America Erika Harold who is running for IL Attorney General (Lisa Madigan is retiring after 15 stellar years in the job). Harold is most famous for her comments on adoption while in the Miss Illinois pageant in 2002. At least four witnesses reported that when she was asked about placing a child in foster care and the choice was loving gay parents or a heterosexual couple who were known child abusers, those four sources reported hearing Harold choose the abusers. Harold has never denied making the comment. At one point she stated that her views on gay adoption were "transitioning", and now, in the current campaign, she has stated that she supports gay adoption and gay foster parenting. How nice...nobody who ever held Erika Harold's allegedly former beliefs is ever going to get a vote from me.

This is where this country is now, and where it is headed.

And we have Rep. Senator Ben Sasse's new book "Them: Why We Hate Each Other And How We Heal." I just heard Ben Sasse interviewed on NPR yesterday. Hmmm.....

Quote:
Sasse sees what’s gone wrong and suggests how we might make it better. The remedy is at home: in our neighborhoods, our communities, and our houses of worship. Most of our modern encumbrances don’t require arguments—or Facebook posts or tweets—but associating, accepting, and knowing “the other”—knowing them. This isn't the kind of book that’s likely to light up cable news and set the talking heads aflutter. But his book is a serious one, and we hope its author will consider leading, not just our national conversation at a dangerous moment, but the country itself. - The Weekly Standard 10/16/18
Yeh...sure Ben. How nice...."associating, accepting, and knowing the other." This shit is on your people Ben. This is on the 80% of Republican voters who support the multigenerational criminal enterprise that is the Trump administration and who support the co-conspiratorial criminality of your own goddamn party, Ben. This is about the half of the country that applauds our democratized gun carnage. This is about the half of the country that thinks it's fine to have their noses up American women's reproductive organs. This is about the half of the country who have had all the advantages of their christianity and their whiteness since the founding and still want to point their gnarly stink finger of blame for their shitty lives at brown people, black people, red people, yellow people, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and anybody else who isn't a white christian. Fuck them and the horses they rode in on.

It's a culture war, Ben. And you're on the wrong side. Your platitudes about healing aren't going anywhere with your own people...and they're not going anywhere with me.

And guess who voted to confirm Brett Kavanaugh for SCOTUS justice...Ben Sasse.

Practice what you preach, asshole.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 10-16-2018 at 09:15 AM.