View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 05:09 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Actually, yes. As with many things, it was developed in auto racing. We now have two-way communication between the pits and the car. Telemetric data is monitored from the pits and changes can be made to the car remotely. This can be both modifications to things like the fuel mixture or other performance related issues or even repairs to corrupted software.

I'm pretty sure they do similar things at your local Chevrolet dealer but with the car in the shop and a mechanic connecting equipment directly to the car. That said, I think the only things preventing remote repairs of some kinds are financial in nature. Equipment is probably pretty expensive and, if you end up having your Chevy fixed remotely from Detroit, it removes a major source of revenue for the dealers. Believe it or not, they make relatively little on the actual sale of the car but they make a ton on service.
I imagine the racers are also on the leading edge of securing their cars against unauthorized or malicious remote access....