View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
I don't disagree with any of this to any serious bnb extent. I will say the the old complaint, "I can't criticize Israel without be a cursed of being an anti-Semite" is more typically a place where anti-Semites hide than a legitimate argument or defense.

As far as the State of Israel is concerned...it is the only democracy in all the middle east. And when was the last time there was a gay-pride parade in Ramallah, a women’s rights march in Gaza, or an opposition press in Tehran?
Actually, the "I can't criticize Israel without be a cursed of being an anti-Semite" is basically true of every single American politician, a point illustrated by this very dust-up. Her dual-allegiance comment was not directed at Jews (which would indeed have been anti-Semitic). It was directed at her fellow Congressmen who have been intimidated by AIPAC and this dynamic (take a moment to read the article I linked to earlier for a good take on this).

As for your gay pride parade, such a parade could only occur peacefully in Tel Aviv, a city chock full of people who are openly critical of Bibi and his policies. When they have one in Jerusalem, all sorts of bad stuff happens. As for Israel being a democracy, it is become less so by the day due to Bibi's policies and practices (passing the Jewish nation-state law and inviting Jewish Power into his coalition).

Our President openly criticizes Germany, France and the UK with all sorts of spurious garbage, praises NeoNazis, condemns Hispanics and Muslims, yet a freshman Congressman catches unmitigated shit for criticizing a very real dynamic about mandatory unwavering support for Israel in Congress. Should this be seen as anything other than an opportunity for the GOP to try to gain some sort of moral high ground (long since forfeited by Trump)?

Last edited by finnbow; 03-10-2019 at 01:20 PM.