View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
An excellent series IMHO. They did a great job in depicting both the bad and the good of the robber-barrons. It also demonstrated the competition that existed between the participants. Overall, JD, Scott, and CV all contributed immensely to America. The significance must be compared to what was happening in other countries and how America fit in with the entire industrial revolution. I'm most certain that a lot of people benefitted by having cheaper and more readily available fuel to provide light and heat. Moreover, wothout the timely industrial growth, would America been able to eclipse Britain and then the directed might of Germany during the next century?
Yep, I agree. I can't deny the contributions made. So long as they are portrayed as they were and not as some twisted sort of heaven-sent soldiers of God, (Some of them actually saw themselves in that way.), I'll enjoy it. We'll see how they handle the story of Henry Clay Frick and his battles with labor. If they attempt to elevate that crazy bastard any higher than he deserves and demonize the workers.....I'm done. If they portray it as it was, GREAT!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Clay_Frick

I remember reading that he once claimed that men such as himself had been endowed by "...none less than the Almighty...." with the intelligence and drive to rule over "...lesser men...". And that any attempt to challenge that authority is an attempt to thwart the will of God.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-22-2012 at 01:17 PM.