View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
What's worse is what went on during the debate over the loans to American car companies. The senators and congressmen, all Republican by the way, from those states were the ones arguing the loudest to "let free market forces work" and allow the industry to die. Of course, it couldn't have had the slightest thing to do with those foreign car companies who built in their states.

John

As an aside, one of the states doing some arguing was Ohio. Ohio has both domestic (GM and Chrysler) and Japanese (Honda and Nissan) plants. I guess they've decided the future lies with the Japanese and couldn't give a rats ass about the part of their economy that's dependent on the domestic end of the industry?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the whole "let the industry die" mentality. We heard it about the auto industry, the banking industry, the economy in general, "Let it fail, let it die, let it hit bottom" seems to be the mantra with so many people. To me that is just so defeatist, fatalistic and "narrow of vision".

Especially when it comes to the general economy. Do these idiots have any idea what they are asking for? Maybe with a specific industry, the impact is only so bad, but the national economy? I guess if you have the mentality that it's only "somebody else" and not yourself that's going to do all of the suffering, -------then you don't care? But, just how in the hell do you build a strong nation with that sort of model-----"So long as I'm okay, I don't give a shit about you. Drop dead, asshole."?

Call me naive, but I don't see how this line of thinking could ever
build a strong nation.

"United we stand, divided we fall." makes much more sense to me.

Dave