View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
I think being obsessive with history is one of the most pervasive destructive things around. People view the present in terms of old wrongs and seem to pass their grudges as far up the line as they can.

"The sins of the father" and all that jazz. What foul tempered evil minded deity would punish a child for something done by its great great great great great Grandfather? More to the point, what sick turd would stand in the pulpit and try to teach it?

Sorry, it's been a grouchy day...............
I recall one time with my former MIL who was of Irish extraction, we were watching a CBC documentary about the Easter Rebellion. She turned on me and said "You British did .. . ."

I had to wait until she stopped and looked her in the eye and said "Ma, don't blame me, I was not there." My ancestors were by no means perfect, but there were some brilliant and honorable ones as well. I take no false pride in the good they did, nor do I accept blame for their sins. I have quite enough of my own to answer for, thank you very much.

As a family historian I know a great deal about my ancestry and I also know that there is no such thing as an empty closet. They all have the odd skeleton rattling about in them somewhere.