View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Once again a move is made that has little to do with Trump, beyond a top executive commenting that his company has "confidence" in the president-elect and policies that have as yet to become law, and out come the brass bands and fireworks to celebrate the new king and his glorious reign.

This is easily the best entertainment I've had since gleeful Republicans informed me that Reagan had "ended Communism".

I love you guys, you truly are a hoot.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...lays/96134996/

Ford Motor Co. already got the message. As part of a sweeping announcement detailing the company’s vision for next-generation mobility, the Blue Oval said it is canceling plans to build a new assembly plant in Mexico. Trump openly criticized the plan throughout his campaign, even as senior Ford officials publicly defended the decision as recently as last month.

Instead, as part of a $4.5 billion investment in electrification and self-driving vehicles, Ford will invest $700 million in its Flat Rock Assembly Plant, create 700 jobs, establish a Manufacturing Innovation Center and produce electrified versions of its iconic F-150 pickup and Mustang sports car in Michigan.

The decisions are a political win for Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence, who were briefed separately by phone on Ford’s plans earlier Tuesday by Executive Chairman Bill Ford Jr. and CEO Mark Fields. Trump’s Build America rhetoric on the campaign trail powered his victory in the industrial Midwest, put American businesses like Ford and GM, Boeing Co. and Lockheed Martin Corp. on notice and could redraw the heartland electoral map to favor Republicans.

In other words, yes, Trump did have an impact. Yes, it is a "win" for Michigan in particular.

On the other hand, Trump's strategy is not without risks, but companies like Ford are reacting to it, so far in favorable ways. But other folks, including editors at the Det News, are noticing.

Glad you're entertained by all this, Dave.