Thread: Chevy Volt
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Based on what?
The fact that a small, electric economy car is not a 3/4 ton truck?

And as for power, they are looking at a 0-60 time of 8.5 seconds, so I wouldn't try drag racing one for pinks with any of your beasts...
I would imagine a Volt would run circles around any of my trucks, they're not what you would call quick. I drive 'em because I need 'em...a 1/2 ton won't cut the mustard, I've tried.

I suppose I was comparing apples to oranges, other than the initial costs.

If the Volt was to sell for app 25K it would become as affordable as my wife's Vibe...provided she didn't drive over 40 miles per day, and she far exceeds this.

The Volt is Chevy's first shot out of a cold barrel. Once the technology advances to the point that they can sell them for 25K, or they develop a drive train that will pull 15,000 pounds without sucking the battery dry in 15 minutes, they would start to make sense to me.

I just feel that they are overpriced at the time. The only way that "green" power will work is to make it as, or more, affordable than current power sources. I'll admit, I'm a tightwad, and I'm not going to pay more so that I can be "green". Get the price right, and I'll be so "green" that I'll glow in the dark.

Enjoy your Saturday,

Chas