View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Well, I suppose the United States is no longer the "Arsenal of Democracy".
Kind of ironic to look back on what George Carlin had to say about US policy back in Vietnam. Paraphrasing from memory, he said:

"Go in, bomb the country, and whip a little industry on them

(yeahhhhhh)

U.S. industry....

(YEAHHHHHH)

Because those are the middle two letters in the word industry, US......."

The whole reason that we helped those countries out with "industry" is that we knew that the ability to produce goods was the key to long-term longevity and independence for a country. Now there's no more industry at home. What has happened to us?

Kind of brings it all full circle to Mike's original post. Large corporations won't invest in the United States not because they'd rather be in China, but because of the moronic capital gains taxes that this country levies. Small businesses can't get off the ground because of lack of venture capital. Now, of course you'd think that if the gov't did anything, it would have made making available venture capital a cornerstone of their bailout processes.

Instead, with unregulated cash, the banks decided to play a game of blind man's bluff, holding the money and waiting in the bushes to use that cash to buy other failed banks, thereby swelling their respective empire. Of course, all this did for the banks was to gain more defaulting debt, and find themselves in risk of collapse because of it.

I have to kind of laugh to myself, as with all the mergers of my personal accounts, Bank of America owns my ass