View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Admin

"Hillary Clinton won here in 2016. Could that be a fluke?
Clinton beat Donald Trump 51% to 43% in Royce’s district in an election that marked the first time a Democrat won Orange County in 80 years. It’s still unclear if that’s a bellwether for future Democratic victories here or a measure of Trump’s stunning unpopularity in California, where just 28% of adults approve of his job performance.
According to an analysis by the election guide California Target Book, Clinton is the only Democratic candidate to win in Royce’s district in any statewide contest going back six years.
Not your grandmother’s Orange County
Major demographic changes have been afoot in Orange County, once a bastion of conservatism, for years.
When Royce was first elected to Congress in 1992, the district he won was more than 60% white and less than a quarter Latino. Today, Asian Americans and Latinos make up more than 65% of his district while whites are just 28% of constituents.

Voter registration numbers have followed suit. Republicans’ advantage in registered voters has shrunk to 1.7 percentage points from 8 percentage points since 2012. The district is 34.4% registered Democrats and 36.1% Republicans. Decline-to-state voters make up 24.9% of those registered." LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...109-story.html

I moved to Orange county, Ca. in the early '80s from Redondo Beach and it felt like I was parachuting behind enemy lines. This used to be hardcore Reagan country. Tricky Dick is a hometown boy and B1 Bob Dornan was a major force locally until some Latina lady from Santa Ana retired his noxious ass.

Ennyhow, looking forward to retiring my congresscritter, Dana Rohrabacher, in November.