View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
An open, decent, ethical, responsible polygamist? Who knew?
General perceptions like yours is why I started the thread, my perspective is atypical of both mainstream Mormons and non-members thru a familiarity with the history and culture.
Mormon "fundamentalism" (read poligamy) has a fairly strong argument as a more "pure" theological basis if Joseph Smith is accepted as a true prophet and seer founder and foundation to the faith for the truest of true believers that can square the circle of obedience to the sitting authorities vs obedience to what are considered essential principles as established by the founder. That's the theological attraction to prospective sub-converts, not the prospect of multiple sexual partners, tho the latter can find justification in the former. With people as unique individuals, taking on the requirements and responsibilities of multiple partners and the resulting offspring can be an emotional and financial burden that can easily overwhelm the unprepared participant. Also obvious is the absolute authority this sort of faith gives the leadership, ripe for abuse.
I've already previously mentioned Rulon Allred and Ervil Lebaron as two leaders of different sub-sects with very different styles and attitudes to their positions. Look them up on Wiki.

Last edited by Pio1980; 05-25-2022 at 12:38 PM.