View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yeah, the teacher I mentioned hated those books. He made history fun. He would assign groups of us say, a Revolutionary War battle. One group would do Bunker Hill another Yorktown and so on. Then within each group he would name each one of us as a key person in that battle; "You're Washington, you're Cornwallis, you're Rochambeau, you're Nelson......Okay, how do you win this battle? American and French can collaborate, but you Brits are on your own."

This is who you are, this is your battle, your objective, these are the troops you have, the weaponry you have at your disposal, the terrain and weather conditions....Now, what do you do?

<SNIP>

Dave
My high school Physics teacher "took the initiative to create" (like Al Gore but for REAL) the 1st High School Aeronautics course in Florida. Got it approved in just a few months. We trained to pass the regular FAA ground school test. Includes Meteorology, Navigation, flight science, and plenty of juicy interesting stuff. In addition, he kicked in flight time on his plane, opportunities to help him rebuild a Belanca Viking and a log book with your first hours signed off.

This guy also challenged me to develop a study guide and teach 2 days of physics class on Transistor/Semiconductor theory. Most important assignment of High School.

I went on to use BOTH of these experiences heavily in life..

He was a true southern boy. You could recite the pledge of allegiance between the words that he uttered. While Yankees think that slow speech thing is symbolic of a slow mind -- it's really not...

Best example -- He kills the throttle and starts to say ..

"Your.............. engine............... just ....................quit"

I had the runway in sight before the end of engine.... But he had already moved his hands to all the gauges and the controls that you are supposed to scan when the fan stops turning...