View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote Merrylander:

"Besides, hydrogen typically consumes more energy to produce than the energy that is derived from it. When we ramp up the massive production machinery to create hydrogen to fuel several million "riding lawn mowers with windshields", where will we get the energy to generate the much needed extra electricity? I sure don't know"

As I understand it, power stations either have to run 24/7 or not at all. Could the 'surplus' electricity generated at night be used for large scale electrolysis; hydrogen from water? That assumes you want hydrogen; could a gas powered car be adapted to run on hydrogen? The great advantage of LPG is that most petrol engines can be adapted fairly easily and it's a switchable adaptation; you carry petrol and LPG, using whatever suits. This gets round the problem of LPG not always being available.

Quote Grumpy:

The US is well behind the UK in the diesel department but you have to remember your comparing a US gal to the rest of the world.

That's true; I'd forgotten that. I think it's a 7 to 8 ratio. Using the British pint, US gallon contains 7 pints; UK contains 8. Going back to the point made by SA2922, if you're talking about 50+mpg off a US gallon in a standard size car, you're way ahead of us.