View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Ambassador to Panama John Feeley, a career diplomat and former Marine Corps helicopter pilot, has resigned, telling the State Department he no longer feels able to serve President Donald Trump.

“As a junior foreign service officer, I signed an oath to serve faithfully the president and his administration in an apolitical fashion, even when I might not agree with certain policies. My instructors made clear that if I believed I could not do that, I would be honor bound to resign. That time has come,” Feeley said, according to an excerpt of his resignation letter read to Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1F1227
Speaking to reporters, Under Secretary of State Steve Goldstein said he was aware of Feeley’s planned departure on Thursday morning, before Trump’s alleged use of the vulgar term, and said the ambassador was leaving for “personal reasons.”

The Trump administration has taken a tougher stance on immigration from Latin America, most notably with moves to expel hundreds of thousands of immigrants from El Salvador, Haiti and Nicaragua who benefited from temporary protection status after natural disasters.

The "protection from natural disasters" was supposed to be temporary, as noted above. For example, the earthquake in Haiti that this immigration order was pursuant to was in 2010. How much longer SHOULD it be required to remain in place?

The temporary order for El Salvador goes all the way back to 2001 following an earthquake there. How much longer SHOULD it be required to remain in place.

Temporary means temporary. It should not create an open ended invitation to enter a country and remain there indefinitely. If the Ambassador disagrees, fine. He needs to go find another line of work.