View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Don't be too sure.

California Turns To China For New Bay Bridge

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/16/140515...new-bay-bridge

I really cannot fathom as to why Caltrans had to go to China to get the steel structure built. Besides, the bridge construction was still way over budget and delayed. Having said that, I am still not a fan of unions negotiating with governments. On the private sector, whatever works.
That has nothing to do with the Davis-Bacon Act. The Davis-Bacon Act does not impose American labor rates on foreign suppliers. Never has, never will. OTOH, the Buy American Act does would have compelled the use of American structural components, but this is not a Federally funded project.

I have nothing against the use of the Buy American Act for Federally-funded projects in the US. In fact, I strongly support it. OTOH, I have managed projects in Germany where we had Buy America provisions for inferior and more expensive American mechanical system components that arguably didn't meet local codes.

The Davis-Bacon Act is another kettle of fish altogether. It was passed in 1931 to keep contractors from bringing workers from the countryside to build projects in union-dominated big cities. Nowadays, it doesn't serve the public interest to give 13% of the construction industry (i.e., union contractors) a government-imposed advantage over the other 87% of construction contractors/workers, particularly when union contractors and their unions insist that they're cheaper due to efficiency, skill and safety. If that were indeed true, they wouldn't need an artificial advantage that drives up construction costs for the taxpayer.

Last edited by finnbow; 06-17-2015 at 01:11 PM.