Thread: Nfl ?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
I asked this question to a close friend yesterday (who called me a fool btw for not supporting H--> last year ) as to why the national anthem is even played at professional league games such as the NFL. The players are working for their paychecks and not 'playing' nor representing their country.

He then asked me why the pledge of allegiance in schools.
The Pledge of Allegiance and the Stars Spangled Banner became popular during the late 1800s and were routinely used in schools and sporting events.
World War II with its accompanying patriotic fervor brought about a legitimization of the Pledge of Allegiance via a Congressional resolution.
I think we owe most of today's fascination with these "oaths" in the manner in which World War II and the Cold War sort of imprinted them onto our national "brain" as it were.

These oaths are always heartwarming to those who fear the "other", be they Communists or whatever. I did the Pledge of Allegiance all through school and never thought about it. I guess if the state you are pledging loyalty to has not harmed you in any way then you probably don't recognize how those who have been harmed by the state may not like it.