View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Sadly there is no such thing as american anymore...
Not purely American, no. We assemble a few things from foreign made parts with a few simple American made parts thrown in to satisfy "parts content" regulation.........But, that's about it.........at best.

I checked the parts content of my '09 Challenger. Geez.

Assembled in Canada of parts that come from Mexico, France, Japan, South America, China, Germany............

The engine castings are American made, but sent to Mexico for machining, assembly and testing. Then shipped to Ontario for installation. The door latches have "Made in USA" stamped on them. The body panels were still stamped in Twinsburg, Ohio (Where my father retired from.) until that plant was shut down and dismantled in 2010. I have no idea where they come from now.

And as we all know, Chrysler is owned by Fiat, an Italian company.

So, door latches, raw castings and the Italian owned Dodge logo are what constitutes an "American brand" these days.....

I remember my Dad telling me sometime in the 1980s; "Well, we have to outsource some parts to keep profits up. That helps protect the remaining American jobs."

Love the guy and still think he was damn sharp........
But, that didn't mean he ALWAYS saw what was really going on.