Thread: Retire and die
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 11:00 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I have spent a good part of my career representing workers in the construction industry. They fight hard to keep the ability to retire for people who have put 30 years in the trade. Much of their work simply wears out a body. The work that they do is essential to progress, so by the time they retire, they have earned it.

My work doesn't take the same physical toll, and I enjoy it. I will likely keep my hand in it in some way until I kick the bucket.

Regards,

D-Ray
My little sister is an employment attorney for Osborne/Maledon in Phoenix. I was just informed this morning that she is going after a judge position in Maricopa county. I envision that as a career with some longevity. Many Judges work to a fairly old age.

Myself, not so much. My dad died at 66. My stepfather died at 53. My wifes dad died when he was in his 50's. My grandpa Hugh was the first Holland male to reach 80, and died at 81. My maternal grandparents both lived into their 90's. My son died at 34. I have no idea when my time will be up, but if I live long enough I will retire at my first opportunity. I already do a lot of things that I once was going to put off until retirement just because after the kid died, that really put mortality in perspective. Another big reason I moved to central Oregon this year. I don't care for statistics and averages much I am fairly healthy. My labs all come back excellent, with the exception of a bit high liver readings which I attribute to a wild youth and a lot of NSAID use since I have pretty much worn my body out a bit prematurely as I have always worked pretty physical jobs.