View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Ahh. It's unfortunate that I don't fall into the top tax bracket, so I can’t speak from personal experience- but it's my belief that people who fall into the scenario you describe above don't actually *pay* anywhere near 42.65% of their income in taxes. If fact, I suspect it is much, much less than that.

In 2007, Warren Buffett rather famously derided the tax system that allows him, the third richest man in the world, to pay less in taxes than his secretary.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/mon...cle1996735.ece

I believe the truth of the matter is, that for all the talk of "taxing the rich", our current system allows them many, many loopholes to prevent them from paying anything close to the rates often bantered about by the conservative pundits. Buffet claims he paid less than 18% while making no effort to pay less than his share.

I think the sad truth is, the convoluted tax system is set up the way it is on purpose. It allows the wealthy folks, a.k.a. the lawmakers, to point at a number and say "look, that's almost half my income that goes to taxes!" while at the same time providing them myriad ways to avoid paying taxes that are not available to you and me. I'd love to see a much simplified tax system for that reason, and the "fair tax" you posted about yesterday is sounding better and better to me. I love the idea of national Sales Tax. I tend to save money and not spend a lot. My taxes would drop like a rock. I've also long been in favor of an increased gas tax to build motivation for using less gas - increasingly a security issue. Everything about the "fair tax" seems to reward good behavior and punish poor decisions. That makes sense to me.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 11-18-2010 at 10:01 AM.