Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Religion & Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Jesus weasels vs Christians. (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=11942)

Pio1980 08-30-2017 10:29 PM

Jesus weasels vs Christians.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...d14572cf35?qr8

bobabode 08-30-2017 11:05 PM

I really don't get why evangelicals feel so threatened by the LGBTQ community. It isn't rational or Christian. It's bigotry, plain and simple.

BlueStreak 08-31-2017 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 360470)
I really don't get why evangelicals feel so threatened by the LGBTQ community. It isn't rational or Christian. It's bigotry, plain and simple.

Because if we can prove to the human race that gay people aren't evil, that's just one more thing that proves just how full of shit Evangelicals are.:rolleyes:

Speaking of that; Have you seen the pathetic attempts of Charlatan preacher Joel Osteen to not look like a total hypocrite down in Texas? Greedy scumbag makes me sad. He truly does.

whell 09-06-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 360470)

There's just so much wrong with a statement like this, starting with the assertion that homosexuals are viewed as a "threat". It demonstrates your own desire to demean those whose motivations you don't clearly understand.

Alternatively, one can criticize zealotry in the name of religion at the same time as criticizing zealotry in the advocacy of a particular type of sexual expression that some believe is "sinful". And, in fact, most religions openly tolerate diversity of sexual preference provided that the practice of such preferences are not exploitative. It doesn't mean that they need to agree with it, and not agreeing with the practice of homosexuality doesn't make someone a "bigot".

And yes, while not all "evangelicals" agree with the practice of homosexuality, others are quite tolerant of it. Painting with a broad brush on this topic is just another form of "bigotry", in this case religious bigotry.

finnbow 09-06-2017 08:30 PM

Evangelicals who have sided with Trump (a very large percentage) have completely discredited themselves. Bunch of raging hypocrites. I've got no use for them.

mpholland 09-06-2017 10:20 PM

Pretty sure the term Christian is derived from Christ. From what I have been able to glean in the last half century, Jesus would not have had an issue welcoming LGBTQ folk into his flock.

bobabode 09-06-2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 360844)
There's just so much wrong with a statement like this, starting with the assertion that homosexuals are viewed as a "threat". It demonstrates your own desire to demean those whose motivations you don't clearly understand.

Alternatively, one can criticize zealotry in the name of religion at the same time as criticizing zealotry in the advocacy of a particular type of sexual expression that some believe is "sinful". And, in fact, most religions openly tolerate diversity of sexual preference provided that the practice of such preferences are not exploitative. It doesn't mean that they need to agree with it, and not agreeing with the practice of homosexuality doesn't make someone a "bigot".

And yes, while not all "evangelicals" agree with the practice of homosexuality, others are quite tolerant of it. Painting with a broad brush on this topic is just another form of "bigotry", in this case religious bigotry.

You're an idiot, Mike.

whell 09-07-2017 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 360852)
You're an idiot, Mike.

Right back atcha, Bob. And thanks for not trying to refute anything in my post above, because it would have made you look even more ridiculous.

Oerets 09-07-2017 07:01 AM

I tend to think ignorance of or dislike of an others lifestyle is at the root of this issue with churches opposition. Both are problems with themselves not the LGBTQ community.

Christ's teaching is indeed counter to opposition put forth by today's followers.

Most who have negative opinions have never known or interacted with them.

Barney

MrPots 09-07-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpholland (Post 360850)
Pretty sure the term Christian is derived from Christ. From what I have been able to glean in the last half century, Jesus would not have had an issue welcoming LGBTQ folk into his flock.

Todays christianity isn't really about Jesus, its about what a bunch of skeered irrelevant white people want it to be about an angry God, a weapon. They just lash out at anything which they don't agree..then blame the bible for their hatred.