Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Nfl ? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=11989)

Grumpy 09-25-2017 07:14 AM

Nfl ?

Anyone else not give a flying F what they do ?

donquixote99 09-25-2017 07:31 AM

Then I take it you aren't getting outraged on cue, shouting YES! to the President's calling out the SOBs?

finnbow 09-25-2017 07:38 AM

I've grown tired of NFL football for a number of years, but Trump's provocative idiocy resulted in my having greater interest yesterday. I still prefer college football and European soccer.

Oerets 09-25-2017 08:36 AM

Guess I'm in the got better things to do then watch sports on TV camp. But do enjoy seeing the teams and some fans take a stand against the big mouth in charge of the country.

Barney

Rajoo 09-25-2017 09:25 AM

No, I do not watch NFL games anymore and have not in several years.
But anything that galvanizes an anti-Trump movement, count me in.
We are all part of the checks and balance.

Dondilion 09-25-2017 10:13 AM

It is a crude appeal from Trump...Why do you white people keep supporting these uppity Negros?

He knows the protests are turning off a fraction of the fans who are largely white and he wants to increase that fraction. He is diving for their baser instincts.

donquixote99 09-25-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 361588)
It is a crude appeal from Trump...Why do you white people keep supporting these uppity Negros?

He knows the protests are turning off a fraction of the fans who are largely white and he wants to increase that fraction. He is diving for their baser instincts.

Exactly right. Now ask yourself why he wants to do that. What is the strategic goal?

icenine 09-25-2017 10:44 AM

I don't like being forced to stand up while an old drinking song is being played to prove my loyalty to the USA or anything else.

Trump the race baiter is using "patriotism" to drive the nation into two camps. His use of the terms "those people" and "SOB" is much more un-American than kneeling while the National Anthem is being played.

What's so bad about kneeling anyway?

Rajoo 09-25-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 361592)
I don't like being forced to stand up while an old drinking song is being played to prove my loyalty to the USA or anything else.

Trump the race baiter is using "patriotism" to drive the nation into two camps. His use of the terms "those people" and "SOB" is much more un-American than kneeling while the National Anthem is being played.

What's so bad about kneeling anyway?

I asked this question to a close friend yesterday (who called me a fool btw for not supporting H--> last year :)) as to why the national anthem is even played at professional league games such as the NFL. The players are working for their paychecks and not 'playing' nor representing their country.

He then asked me why the pledge of allegiance in schools. :confused:

finnbow 09-25-2017 11:15 AM

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—One day after rescinding his invitation to the Golden State Warriors, Donald J. Trump invited the entire Russian national basketball team to celebrate with him at the White House.

Trump said that he looked forward to welcoming the Russian team, calling them “much, much better basketball players than those Golden State losers.”

When reporters pointed out that the Russians had won only a bronze in the 2012 Olympics and failed to qualify for the 2016 event, Trump was dismissive, calling the Olympics “rigged.”

“You ask anyone who knows, Steph Curry is nowhere near as good as Vladimir Ivlev,” Trump said.

But Trump’s plan to replace the Warriors with the Russians hit a snag just hours after he issued the invitation, when the Russian team released an official statement declining the offer.

“We feel that appearing with Donald Trump at this time would be bad for our brand,” the Russians’ statement read.

Dondilion 09-25-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 361594)
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—One day after rescinding his invitation to the Golden State Warriors, Donald J. Trump invited the entire Russian national basketball team to celebrate with him at the White House.

Trump said that he looked forward to welcoming the Russian team, calling them “much, much better basketball players than those Golden State losers.”

When reporters pointed out that the Russians had won only a bronze in the 2012 Olympics and failed to qualify for the 2016 event, Trump was dismissive, calling the Olympics “rigged.”

“You ask anyone who knows, Steph Curry is nowhere near as good as Vladimir Ivlev,” Trump said.

But Trump’s plan to replace the Warriors with the Russians hit a snag just hours after he issued the invitation, when the Russian team released an official statement declining the offer.

“We feel that appearing with Donald Trump at this time would be bad for our brand,” the Russians’ statement read.

Appearing with DT is bad for your brand. :D

HarmanKardon 09-25-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 361582)
I've grown tired of NFL football for a number of years, but Trump's provocative idiocy resulted in my having greater interest yesterday. I still prefer college football and European soccer.

American Football is so crazy. They carry this strange leather thing. So why it is not called American Handball? And is there actually one person on this blue marble who understands the rules of this game entirely?

Pio1980 09-25-2017 12:09 PM

What other sport allows a player to stop the game to throw a personal party for themself for doing their job?
Why isn't international soccer called "flopball"?

Rajoo 09-25-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 361596)
American Football is so crazy. They carry this strange leather thing. So why it is not called American Handball? And is there actually one person on this blue marble who understands the rules of this game entirely?

Two words, Instant Replay. :)

bobabode 09-25-2017 02:07 PM

This is all about Donny 'Two Scoops' settling old scores with the NFL who rightly recognized that Trump was a screwball flimflam man. Remember the USFL and Trump's part in destroying it? http://fortune.com/2017/09/24/donald-trump-nfl-usfl/

nailer 09-25-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 361580)

I'm a Baltimore Colts fan. :)

icenine 09-25-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 361593)
I asked this question to a close friend yesterday (who called me a fool btw for not supporting H--> last year :)) as to why the national anthem is even played at professional league games such as the NFL. The players are working for their paychecks and not 'playing' nor representing their country.

He then asked me why the pledge of allegiance in schools. :confused:

The Pledge of Allegiance and the Stars Spangled Banner became popular during the late 1800s and were routinely used in schools and sporting events.
World War II with its accompanying patriotic fervor brought about a legitimization of the Pledge of Allegiance via a Congressional resolution.
I think we owe most of today's fascination with these "oaths" in the manner in which World War II and the Cold War sort of imprinted them onto our national "brain" as it were.

These oaths are always heartwarming to those who fear the "other", be they Communists or whatever. I did the Pledge of Allegiance all through school and never thought about it. I guess if the state you are pledging loyalty to has not harmed you in any way then you probably don't recognize how those who have been harmed by the state may not like it.

Rajoo 09-25-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 361605)
The Pledge of Allegiance and the Stars Spangled Banner became popular during the late 1800s and were routinely used in schools and sporting events.
World War II with its accompanying patriotic fervor brought about a legitimization of the Pledge of Allegiance via a Congressional resolution.
I think we owe most of today's fascination with these "oaths" in the manner in which World War II and the Cold War sort of imprinted them onto our national "brain" as it were.

These oaths are always heartwarming to those who fear the "other", be they Communists or whatever. I did the Pledge of Allegiance all through school and never thought about it. I guess if the state you are pledging loyalty to has not harmed you in any way then you probably don't recognize how those who have been harmed by the state may not like it.

Thank you for a thoughtful answer Ice. My friend's point of view was that the school children taking the pledge of allegiance even begin to understand to what or whom they are pledging to.

CarlV 09-25-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 361580)

F**k anybody who tries to infringe upon our freedom of speech. :mad:

Pio1980 09-25-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 361606)
Thank you for a thoughtful answer Ice. My friend's point of view was that the school children taking the pledge of allegiance even begin to understand to what or whom they are pledging to.

Basically a mandatory loyalty oath administered to other folks' kids that they don't understand. I'm not crazy about this, but see one vital function of a public education is a common grounding in National civics and culture.

CarlV 09-25-2017 07:46 PM

I really think that this is just yet another diversion from Agent Orange to cover up Kushner's abuse of WH for personal gain deals with Pootin on his private email server, similar to HRC, although he has something to hide and even after 100 tries they could not find that HRC had anything to do with Benghazi. At least not as much as the GOP led fools on the hill who did not fully fund the security operation.

icenine 09-25-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 361616)
Basically a mandatory loyalty oath administered to other folks' kids that they don't understand. I'm not crazy about this, but see one vital function of a public education a common grounding in National civics and culture.

Very true.
No matter what level history is taught at (k-12, college, grad school, etc) there is always a tendency to show progression from bad (slavery, bad working conditions, Jim Crow) to better (abolition of slavery, 8-hour day, Voting Rights Act). Or was. In school we learned that government could change things for the better, that there is something good in government. That there is goodness in our nation. Or at least we try to be good.

Yeah a white-washed view. In college you learn the real story and how there is a negative underside to American history. But in general there is progressive belief in how our government is more or less good.

Until now. There is general disdain for the establishment, and Trump and others are knocking down the idea that a strong, forward looking government is good for America. I don't why people who supposedly hate the swamp and big government have a dislike of people who don't want to pledge allegiance to America. To me America is the Constitution flawed that it is.

I mean this clown has decimated the State Department and is upset about a quarterback kneeling during the national anthem.

bobabode 09-25-2017 09:01 PM

Holy moley, just saw America's team (rolls eyes), the Dallas Cowboys including the owner, take a knee. (grin)

Pio1980 09-25-2017 09:31 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...df45f9b002?1cb

Rajoo 09-25-2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 361647)
Holy moley, just saw America's team (rolls eyes), the Dallas Cowboys including the owner, take a knee. (grin)

BS gesture in my opinion and more to do with protecting their exclusive club and valuable franchises. If they were really one with their players, one of them would be offering to sign Colin Kaepernick considering there is a shortage of quality QB's from what I have read.

bobabode 09-25-2017 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 361655)
BS gesture in my opinion and more to do with protecting their exclusive club and valuable franchises. If they were really one with their players, one of them would be offering to sign Colin Kaepernick considering there is a shortage of quality QB's from what I have read.

No argument here. The NFL needs to stop 'white' listing Mr. Kaepernick for silently protesting police brutality against POC.

MrPots 09-26-2017 09:44 AM

So trump thinks these people need to protest "on their own time" and that the NFL should make a rule. The NFL is a private business...so do we need more regulation on business? Perhaps we should all take coffee breaks and bathroom breaks "on our own time" and the government can regulate that too.

I'm so done with this country.

Chicks 09-26-2017 03:00 PM

The Twitler now claiming he's "not preoccupied " with NFL. Right.

Tweets about NFL: 24

Tweets about Puerto Rico: 4

Racist idiot.

Rajoo 09-26-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 361657)
No argument here. The NFL needs to stop 'white' listing Mr. Kaepernick for silently protesting police brutality against POC.

I don't buy a bit of the owners joing the NFL players to show solidarity. They form one of the biggest group of Trump supporters; one is a current ambassador, another gave him a Super Bowl ring and most gave Trump in excess of a $1 Million for inauguration. All this togetherness and camaraderie masks their real intent which is to keep Colin Kaepernik out of the NFL.

Now for the two sides of the dialog.

First the NFL Took Colin Kaepernick’s Career, Now They’re Hijacking His Activism

https://cassiuslife.com/25829/first-...-his-activism/

Trump Is Right Yet Again, Colin Kaepernick Is A Son Of A Bitch

www.thelibertyconservative.com/trump-is-right-yet-again-colin-kaepernick-is-a-son-of-a-bitch/

Pio1980 09-26-2017 03:49 PM

The liar in chief at it again.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b06ddf45fb5cda

Pio1980 09-26-2017 06:03 PM

http://crooksandliars.com/2017/09/wh...ck-people-rush

Chicks 09-26-2017 06:36 PM

^^^^
Not sure who's worse for this country, Rush and his dittohead idiots, or Trump and his idiots. Rush will probably be around longer, so maybe he's worse...

donquixote99 09-28-2017 05:53 AM

Seen at doorway to bar in Lake Ozark, MO:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...co4onfpmhs.png

Quote from bar owner: “It’s not a race thing. A lot of people want to twist it around to be a race thing.”

finnbow 09-28-2017 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 361700)
^^^^
Not sure who's worse for this country, Rush and his dittohead idiots, or Trump and his idiots. Rush will probably be around longer, so maybe he's worse...

Same idiots. They double-down on their own stupidity.

Bob T 09-28-2017 08:07 AM

Ted Nugent posted on FaceBook last night that "There is no racism in America."

So...Problem solved. Let's move along...nothing to see here.

Really Ted?

Chicks 09-28-2017 08:10 AM

Dallas sportscaster, old, white, but totally gets it. Very well said, well worth a listen.

https://youtu.be/BNJUsE7pEs4

d-ray657 09-28-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 361748)
Dallas sportscaster, old, white, but totally gets it. Very well said, well worth a listen.

https://youtu.be/BNJUsE7pEs4

"I served in the military and went to Vietnam, and my foot hurt too, but I went anyway."

Think that one will go over Trump's head - or can we expect a twitter storm against old white sportscasters.

Chicks 09-28-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 361749)
"I served in the military and went to Vietnam, and my foot hurt too, but I went anyway."

Think that one will go over Trump's head - or can we expect a twitter storm against old white sportscasters.

Trump won't say a word. It would expose this guy, who looks just like his idiot, racist base, to his idiot, racist base, which might actually make them think for a change. Way too risky for Trump to have his base actually thinking.

JJIII 09-28-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob T (Post 361747)

Really Ted?

Welcome to the fray!

Delta Flight 09-28-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob T (Post 361747)

Really Ted?

Welcome to the forum Bob. People here will not bite, I hope?

LOL:D:cool: