Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   So, what music are you listening to now? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=3776)

bhunter 03-22-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 94946)
I've been listening to some new(er) music lately.

The Decemberists - The King is Dead
The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
Gillian Welch - The Harrow and the Harvest
Vampire Weekend - S/T (my son's album. Catchy stuff.)

I have all of those except for Vampire Weekend. Thanks for a new band to follow. Catchy sums up Vampire nicely. There is quite a bit of little nuances happening in their songs.

bhunter 03-22-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 94917)
Five disc changer?

Chas

Just five big discs. :D I use a dedicated computer to serve my flac files. I've thought of going back to vinyl, but I gave all my records away years ago and I'm too impatient to deal with a turntable.

Charles 03-22-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 94920)
I've been running a Magnum Dynalab ST1 on the roof for years. Think it might be time for an ST2. Or maybe the Highly regarded Fanfare model? I also think I need to raise the mast another section or two.

How do you like the Weingard?

Dave

It's pretty good for a cheap omni, will pull a couple of stations 70 miles out. I've got it mounted pretty low.

Remember years ago I had one of those round dial Pioneer super tuner AM/FM's in my truck. Depending on how I parked and weather conditions, I could pull Kansas City & St. Louis in with it. Either one is well over 100 miles in a straight line.

Actually, the best tuner I currently have is the one in my 1000A. It's only a three gang, and the sound quality isn't quite as good as my 717, but it pulls in an incredible amount of stations. It's been recalibrated and I replaced the nuvistors.

Bad thing is, unless I go with a directional and a rotor there still isn't shit to listen to, or perhaps I should say there's nothing to listen to but shit.

Chas

Charles 03-22-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunter (Post 94985)
Just five big discs. :D I use a dedicated computer to serve my flac files. I've thought of going back to vinyl, but I gave all my records away years ago and I'm too impatient to deal with a turntable.

I still like the old rekkerd player. It's a game for cranks.

Chas

BlueStreak 03-22-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunter (Post 94985)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 94987)
I still like the old rekkerd player. It's a game for cranks.

Chas

I have five of the dang things. I need to start thinning the herd, though.

Dave

merrylander 03-22-2012 08:04 AM

Solveig's Song - Grieg. Fired up the CR-3020 and it is locked onto WBJC.

d-ray657 03-22-2012 08:41 AM

Van Morrison - Too Late to Stop Now - really makes me wish for an opportunity to see him live.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow 03-22-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunter (Post 94984)
I have all of those except for Vampire Weekend. Thanks for a new band to follow. Catchy sums up Vampire nicely. There is quite a bit of little nuances happening in their songs.

Their music is an interesting combination of Indie Rock and the Soweto sound (made famous by Paul Simon's Graceland). Their second album, Contra, emphasizes the Soweto sound even more than the first.

BlueStreak 03-22-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 94986)
It's pretty good for a cheap omni, will pull a couple of stations 70 miles out. I've got it mounted pretty low.

Remember years ago I had one of those round dial Pioneer super tuner AM/FM's in my truck. Depending on how I parked and weather conditions, I could pull Kansas City & St. Louis in with it. Either one is well over 100 miles in a straight line.

Actually, the best tuner I currently have is the one in my 1000A. It's only a three gang, and the sound quality isn't quite as good as my 717, but it pulls in an incredible amount of stations. It's been recalibrated and I replaced the nuvistors.

Bad thing is, unless I go with a directional and a rotor there still isn't shit to listen to, or perhaps I should say there's nothing to listen to but shit.

Chas

I guess I am at an advantage as I live in the city. Some of the stations I listen to are only a few miles away. Unfortunately, it also means I have a greater selection of absolute crap to listen to.

Dave

bobabode 03-22-2012 01:27 PM

This mornin' a little high energy blues!
Walter Trout- Unspoiled by Progress. BLUES with attitude!
The first track is 'The Working Class!' ,followed by Goin' Down........
He's huge in Europe and Britain and a local grown Bluesbreaker from Huntington Beach. His former bassist Jimmy Trapp was a good friend and fellow fishin' nut. Too bad ole Mongo was taken from us way too early. I miss him.