Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   History (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Our man Smedley............ (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=3744)

BlueStreak 03-14-2012 08:25 PM

Our man Smedley............

Quote from Smedley D. Butler, Major General, USMC, Two Time Medal of Honor Winner, from his anti-war classic 'WAR IS A RACKET' :

“I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”

So, when Smedly threw his monkey wrench into the Fascist corporate machines assassination attempt against FDR....To your mind, was this a good thing? Or, since some of you seem to have a hatred for FDR and his policies, should he have stood aside?

I think the man had a guilty conscience and ultimately redeemed himself with an heroic act, preserving to some degree, freedom and democracy for a few more decades. Not that it really changed our foreign policies all that much, unfortunately.

Dave

bobabode 03-14-2012 08:35 PM

I'll bet that there are a few current Generals that feel the same way about their service. Wasn't it Ike that warned us about M.I.C.?

piece-itpete 03-15-2012 08:19 AM

Anyone attempting assasination of the Pres is eligible for the death penalty.

I find it interesting that he was appoached at all.

Since WW2 the US military has been largely responsible for world stabilization. Not to say it's perfect but this is Pax Americana and its' place in history is secured.

Pete

merrylander 03-15-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 94218)
Anyone attempting assasination of the Pres is eligible for the death penalty.

I find it interesting that he was appoached at all.

Since WW2 the US military has been largely responsible for world stabilization. Not to say it's perfect but this is Pax Americana and its' place in history is secured.

Pete

Not to mention the financial contribution we taxpayers have made to several local economies by way of our far flung bases.:rolleyes:

BlueStreak 03-15-2012 10:21 AM

I think, because of prior services rendered, the people who approached him assumed he would be on their "side". I think, perhaps he decided that it is the common American people, through their Democratically elected representatives, who should be in control. Not the denizens of Mahogany Row.

Semper Fi, Smedley, Semper Fi.

Dave

neophyte 03-15-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 94218)

Pete

Cromwell has his niche in history "secured", too.

On the assumption you're not completely ignorant of American Imperialism (including, but not limited to the examples cited in the Smedley quote), might you elaborate on how "the US military has been largely responsible for world stabilization"? Was it a function of the decades long game of nuclear brinksmanship we perpetrated? Was it the invasion of Grenada?

Enlighten us, please.

piece-itpete 03-15-2012 11:48 AM

Definately Grenada.

;)

Since WW2 it's been bipartisan US policy to basically enforce borders and police world shipping lanes.

With cursory research you can find the worlds war fatality rate has drasticly decreased while global wealth has soared, which yes has helped the poor as well.

Heck, consider if we did walk away from the obligations we voluntarily assumed. With the rebirth of regional squabbles, large downturn in the global economy, and uncertainty in shipping the food the 1st world ships to the poorest would be one of the first things to go. Guess what that means?

If you'd really like to be concerned for the future, consider that when one large power overtakes another the transition has never happened without war.

Btw Dave, I agree what he did was the right thing, of course. As much as I dislike FDRs policies he was elected President and, unlike the left when Bush was disrespected, would not cheer any slander or threat.

I dispise FDR for ignoring Washingtons example.

Pete

piece-itpete 03-15-2012 11:56 AM

Btw, that foriegn policy was instituted by New Dealers :D

Pete

neophyte 03-15-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 94267)
Definately Grenada.

;)

Since WW2 it's been bipartisan US policy to basically enforce borders and police world shipping lanes.

With cursory research you can find the worlds war fatality rate has drasticly decreased while global wealth has soared, which yes has helped the poor as well.

Heck, consider if we did walk away from the obligations we voluntarily assumed. With the rebirth of regional squabbles, large downturn in the global economy, and uncertainty in shipping the food the 1st world ships to the poorest would be one of the first things to go. Guess what that means?

If you'd really like to be concerned for the future, consider that when one large power overtakes another the transition has never happened without war.

Btw Dave, I agree what he did was the right thing, of course. As much as I dislike FDRs policies he was elected President and, unlike the left when Bush was disrespected, would not cheer any slander or threat.

I dispise FDR for ignoring Washingtons example.

Pete

I'm sorry, perhaps I've not consumed enough coffee or something, but this post doesn't make shit for sense to me.

Let's strike a deal. I'll brew up more coffee, and you take a shot at rephrasing whatever the hell it was you were trying to say, ok?
(do feel free to cite historical examples)

piece-itpete 03-15-2012 12:19 PM

At the close of WW2, the US, not wanting to be involved in another world war, decides to enforce borders and police world shipping lanes.

Since then, peace and prosperity have soared worldwide.

Better? ;)

Previous to WW2, where Smedleys issues come from, we did indeed act isolationist except for our sorties to enforce US hedgemony largely over business issues but also security issues. We continue to protect our interests as we see them.

Pete