Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Should/Can smoking be outlawed in outdoor places (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=10169)

Grumpy 02-01-2016 09:09 AM

Should/Can smoking be outlawed in outdoor places

The city of Ann Arbor Michigan has outlawed smoking in nearly all outdoor parks. They even outlawed electronic smokes which I found to be odd.

Dondilion 02-01-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 299724)
The city of Ann Arbor Michigan has outlawed smoking in nearly all outdoor parks. They even outlawed electronic smokes which I found to be odd.

I can understand parks...they are family oriented space.

I do not know enough about electronic smoke to comment on it, but as an ex smoker I know the tobacco stuff is nasty.

Boreas 02-01-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 299724)

Have you been reading about eCigarettes lately?

As far as outlawing smoking in any area where the public congregates, I'm all for it. Standing next to a smoker at a bus stop or sitting next to one for several hours at an outdoor concert is unpleasant and essentially as dangerous as being next to a smoker indoors.

Grumpy 02-01-2016 10:08 AM

E-Smokes pretty much release a water vapor.

Grumpy 02-01-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 299747)
Have you been reading about eCigarettes lately?

As far as outlawing smoking in any area where the public congregates, I'm all for it. Standing next to a smoker at a bus stop or sitting next to one for several hours at an outdoor concert is unpleasant and essentially as dangerous as being next to a smoker indoors.

I have and ive used them on and off for years. There are so many conflicting studies on them. Depends on which side of the isle released it.

Boreas 02-01-2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 299750)
I have and ive used them on and off for years. There are so many conflicting studies on them. Depends on which side of the isle released it.

I smoked cigarettes for about 30 years and I'm still here but that doesn't mean they're safe or that they won't be what eventually does me in.

Pio1980 02-01-2016 10:36 AM

I quit tobacco cold turkey 10 years ago after a quad bypass. It was my time to make the change in spite of the craving-reward cycle of enjoyment/addiction.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Tom Joad 02-01-2016 10:44 AM

I'm for outlawing it everywhere except right next to a dempsey dumpster, which you have to maintain contact with at least one hand at all times while you're smoking. In addition it should be a felony not to field strip your butt after you're done.

icenine 02-01-2016 10:48 AM

I smoked from 1982-1992, then quit for 9 years, and smoked from 2001-2008 or so (being on a ship for 3 years and then going to Iraq lead me back). I even inhaled the smokes...but I could always quit on a dime for some reason. I was smoking half a pack to a pack a day. I don't want to go back because I can smell the bad smell when I interact with people who do smoke. I think passing a law against smoking outside is sort of unenforceable. I am sure the local police think they have another headache to worry about.

Grumpy 02-01-2016 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 299769)
I'm for outlawing it everywhere except right next to a dempsey dumpster, which you have to maintain contact with at least one hand at all times while you're smoking. In addition it should be a felony not to field strip your butt after you're done.

I feel this exact way about alcohol. It should be taxed to the hilt like tobacco, and regulated much more.