Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Union Ballots (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=2476)

d-ray657 04-12-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 59677)
Excuse my ignorance, but would not "salting" require that the employer is ready to do a heck of a lot of hiring in order to create a majority of pro union employees?

No, salts give the union a voice inside the workforce. Employers can keep union organizers off of the premises, thus restricting access to the workers. A salt overcomes this restriction, because he can talk to employees during lunch periods, before and after work and advise of union meetings and the benefits of union membership. His superior skills are also likely to give him some credibility in his advocacy of the union. So long as he does not interfere with the work of the other employees, his advocacy of the union is protected by the National Labor Relations Act.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak 04-12-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 59659)
- coercion is not restricted to the employer in a union campaign. Lots of examples that I've seen of property damage - both the employer and fellow employees - physical intimidation, and threats of violence.

And, I have seen violence carried out against strikers. Bloody violence involving nightsticks and riot gear, instigated by local police, no less. Funny, how the press showed up to film, just before the cops arrived. Then promptly left as soon as it was over. Orchestrated effort? Sure looked that way to me. And, who could possibly have the financial where-with-all to buy the appropriate officials to set such a thing up, in a "pro-business" red state?

What was the work governor Walker used? "Troublemakers"?:rolleyes:

Dave

whell 04-12-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 59728)
What was the work governor Walker used? "Troublemakers"?:rolleyes:

Dave

If non-Wisconsin residents are bussed in to join the protests in WI, which ended up trashing the capitol grounds and doing about $7MM in damage to the capitol building....yeah, those would be troublemakers.

BlueStreak 04-13-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 59760)
If non-Wisconsin residents are bussed in to join the protests in WI, which ended up trashing the capitol grounds and doing about $7MM in damage to the capitol building....yeah, those would be troublemakers.

$7 MM? Holy Moly, that's a lot of trashing! What did they do, knock the friggin' building over?

But, I don't think that's the kind of "troublemakers" the asshole was referring too. His kind of troublemakers specialize in instigating violence. Nice of him to decide against it after some consideration, though. It must have violated his "Christian Family Values".:rolleyes:

Dave