Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Howard Schultz: Dem's Last Best Hope? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=12423)

whell 06-06-2018 07:34 AM

Howard Schultz: Dem's Last Best Hope?

I could actually see myself voting for this guy if he's at all serious with these statements. Obviously, he's not confirmed he's running, but he could be on the 2020 ballot if the there's any truth to the speculation.

Anyway, here's some pull quotes from the interview that, IMHO, nail it.

Many leaders in the Democratic Party are veering too far left and overpromising government programs that are not fiscally possible, Howard Schultz told CNBC on Tuesday.

Without naming names, Schultz said in a "Squawk Box" interview: "It concerns me that so many voices within the Democratic Party are going so far to the left. I say to myself, 'How are we going to pay for these things,' in terms of things like single payer [and] people espousing the fact that the government is going to give everyone a job. I don't think that's realistic."

And....

"I think the greatest threat domestically to the country is this $21 trillion debt hanging over the cloud of America and future generations," Schultz said. "The only way we're going to get out of that is we've got to grow the economy, in my view, 4 percent or greater. And then we have to go after entitlements."

We'll see what other public positions he chooses to take, but the early comments are encouraging.

finnbow 06-06-2018 07:51 AM

Schultz is demonstrating the fact that, by virtue of Republican hypocrisy, profligacy and insanity, that the Democrats have become the party of fiscal responsibility as well as responsible foreign and trade policies. Meanwhile, the GOP has become the party of conspiracy theories, lies and grifters. In short, by embracing Trumpism, the GOP has rendered any Democrat better than any Republican.

Dondilion 06-06-2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 371959)
I could actually see myself voting for this guy if he's at all serious with these statements. Obviously, he's not confirmed he's running, but he could be on the 2020 ballot if the there's any truth to the speculation.

Anyway, here's some pull quotes from the interview that, IMHO, nail it.

Many leaders in the Democratic Party are veering too far left and overpromising government programs that are not fiscally possible, Howard Schultz told CNBC on Tuesday.

Without naming names, Schultz said in a "Squawk Box" interview: "It concerns me that so many voices within the Democratic Party are going so far to the left. I say to myself, 'How are we going to pay for these things,' in terms of things like single payer [and] people espousing the fact that the government is going to give everyone a job. I don't think that's realistic."

And....

"I think the greatest threat domestically to the country is this $21 trillion debt hanging over the cloud of America and future generations," Schultz said. "The only way we're going to get out of that is we've got to grow the economy, in my view, 4 percent or greater. And then we have to go after entitlements."

We'll see what other public positions he chooses to take, but the early comments are encouraging.

"And then we have to go after entitlements." :(

Rajoo 06-06-2018 08:59 AM

Well, at least he is not calling for another round of tax cuts to grow the economy, the magic potion called 'trickle me down'.

nailer 06-06-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 371960)
Schultz is demonstrating the fact that, by virtue of Republican hypocrisy, profligacy and insanity, that the Democrats have become the party of fiscal responsibility as well as responsible foreign and trade policies. Meanwhile, the GOP has become the party of conspiracy theories, lies and grifters. In short, by embracing Trumpism, the GOP has rendered any Democrat better than any Republican.

His positioning himself as a fiscally responsible Democrat to make a run at their 2020 presidential nomination. I've seen no evidence to date the Democrats are fiscally responsible or that they have any intent to become so. If elected he won't have a snowflake's chance in hell of getting Congress to exercise fiscal responsibility. Bankruptcy might though.

Forgot to mention that the GOP hasn't been the party of fiscal responsibility since Ronnie.

whell 06-06-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 371960)

So you'd go for Bernie over Kasich, huh?

whell 06-06-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 371961)
"And then we have to go after entitlements." :(

He's definitely lost the far left and the Rinos with that statement.

Pio1980 06-06-2018 10:20 AM

Re "entitlements".
Opinion: No, no one is stealing from Social Security

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/opini...man/index.html

Dondilion 06-06-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 371967)
He's definitely lost the far left and the Rinos with that statement.

Not just far left, but also left of center.

nailer 06-06-2018 10:35 AM

And the center.