Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Site News (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Help for Political Chat and AudioKarma (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=8753)

d-ray657 02-25-2015 11:24 AM

Help for Political Chat and AudioKarma

Spammers are not only a PITA, they are expensive. Hackers and Spammers have exposed vulnerabilities in the software that is used to run AudioKarma, Political Chat and related boards. (We have had to close registration for PC for awhile because of the horde of spammers.) This is particularly true with the older version of the software that we have been using. That has made it necessary to purchase a software upgrade.

Most of you know that AudioKarma and PC are non-profit sites. They are offered as a service to the community. They depend largely on contributions to cover the operating expenses. The moderators and most of the administrators are volunteers, including both administrators on this board.

Because of the expenses that the Audiokarma family is facing, we are requesting contributions to help with the cost of the new software. If you find this site worthwhile for entertainment, education, fellowship, or simply as a place to vent your frustrations, please consider contributing. There is a button the section above for making contributions, or you can contribute through AK. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Regards,

D-Ray

donquixote99 02-25-2015 11:30 AM

Been meaning to reup my AK subscription. Will do so now. :)

icenine 02-25-2015 11:32 AM

Is it an upgrade to Vbulletin, or completely new software?. I do like the new software that Steve Hoffman put in on his audio forum two years ago.

nailer 02-25-2015 11:36 AM

Bagger Bob pledges $50.

Boreas 02-25-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 261166)

Has anyone given thought to offering a subscription option here? Not sure what sort of perks you could offer to entice subscribers but there's probably a way.

John

icenine 02-25-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 261200)
Has anyone given thought to offering a subscription option here? Not sure what sort of perks you could offer to entice subscribers but there's probably a way.

John

A sort of barter town where you sell really bad items to those on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Plus if you subscribe you get to ban one non-subscriber per quarter;).

d-ray657 02-25-2015 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 261200)

John

We could offer a monopoly on the truth, but there are a few here who already have one. :rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas 02-25-2015 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 261206)
We could offer a monopoly on the truth, but there are a few here who already have one. :rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray

Hey, what about Political Chat tote bags or coffee mugs? Works for NPR! ;)

John

Zeke 02-25-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 261166)

I did same a few weeks ago. :-)

icenine 02-25-2015 02:16 PM

I would suggest criticizing those members with a monopoly on the truth in the same thread as asking for contributions is not the best way to raise money from said members with a monopoly on the truth. NPR certainly does not criticize listeners when asking for pledges.