Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Economy (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   559,000 New Jobs In May (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=13362)

bobabode 06-04-2021 01:57 PM

559,000 New Jobs In May

W000T!!!!

After last months numbers this is a good sign.;)

mpholland 06-06-2021 09:28 AM

Is that new jobs available or actually filled? Seems there are a ton of jobs in my area and we can't find anyone to hire.

bobabode 06-06-2021 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpholland (Post 400757)
Is that new jobs available or actually filled? Seems there are a ton of jobs in my area and we can't find anyone to hire.

I've always figured it was jobs filled with these BoL estimates.

BlueStreak 06-06-2021 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpholland (Post 400757)

That's the case everywhere. Even in my dumpy small hometown in Ohio, there are jobs available but nobody wants them because they suck. Non-Union, low wage, crappy benefits if they offer any at all.............

This is the point the powers that be seem to not get; Just creating "jobs" is not good enough anymore. (It never really was.) What everybody, left and right, is looking for are "good jobs" like Grampa had in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. But, they barely exist anymore. We sent them all overseas in the name of saving the consumer a few bucks.:rolleyes:

mpholland 06-06-2021 07:56 PM

We have positions available across the board. Most pay pretty decent. Figure if you can read a tape measure you can start at 35K with full employer paid medical, dental and vision. 6% 401K match and almost 3 weeks vacation. I make just under double that and there are a lot of people that make more. There are a lot of places with the same problem. We also have over 6% unemployment here, so something is kind of off.

barbara 06-07-2021 08:01 AM

For the last two weeks I have gotten a bunch of unsolicited texts and emails from companies saying they are hiring. I'm not sure if my name got on some sort of list or if this is how employers are trying to recruit people.

Rajoo 06-07-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 400791)
For the last two weeks I have gotten a bunch of unsolicited texts and emails from companies saying they are hiring. I'm not sure if my name got on some sort of list or if this is how employers are trying to recruit people.

If you are on Linkedin, that is a popular resource for headhunters. Employers do not generally recruit directly by contacting a currently employed person, but recruiters do.

Dondilion 06-07-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpholland (Post 400786)
We have positions available across the board. Most pay pretty decent. Figure if you can read a tape measure you can start at 35K with full employer paid medical, dental and vision. 6% 401K match and almost 3 weeks vacation. I make just under double that and there are a lot of people that make more. There are a lot of places with the same problem. We also have over 6% unemployment here, so something is kind of off.

Some are afraid to be out there. They want to stay far as possible from meeting people.

barbara 06-08-2021 09:49 AM

Rajoo, this site is the only social media I belong to and I am retired. Maybe I just accidently got on some sort of list. Anyway, I hope those who really do need a job can get one with so many out there.

icenine 06-12-2021 12:16 PM

People can't just immediately transition back into a workforce that was shut down for a year, especially if child care is an issue. Besides a lot of the jobs just don't pay enough.
I'm fortunate in that if I for some reason couldn't work I could scrape by on my military retirement since my house is paid off.

The American work ethic is a foundation of our culture. But two hour commutes on clogged again freeways with all the environmental damage that comes with it makes me question the idea that everyone should be working. It would be nice to get back to the America where one working adult could support a whole family so that if adults wanted to enjoy not working that would be an option. Yang's idea of a guaranteed basic income if one didn't want to work makes sense in the context of global warming.