Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Auto industry (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Autonomous Vehicles = Madness? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=9705)

ebacon 10-05-2015 07:10 PM

Autonomous Vehicles = Madness?

Suppose autonomous vehicles are commercially successful. People are free to be more productive while they are stuck in traffic. They can watch movies, refine business proposals for more machines. etc. etc.

How big would a traffic jam have to get before passengers realized that they hate sitting in their robot cars and would rather walk to a theater with their traffic mates?

I just realized that we don't have a word for traffic mates. Maybe we need one, because that is where we are headed.

Pio1980 10-05-2015 07:19 PM

Pedestrians?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ebacon 10-05-2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 288589)
Pedestrians?

Concern for?

Technology can protect pedestrians.

That introduces an interesting question. If autonomous vehicles were perfectly safe to everyone, would people rather walk or be shuttled?

I prefer walking.

Voted.

bobabode 10-05-2015 08:08 PM

I like the idea. I have crummy knees. ;)

Boreas 10-05-2015 08:31 PM

We have autonomous vehicles around here. Google is developing the software and operating them on public roads as part of their testing. I like the idea but I wouldn't want to be forced into not driving myself.

catswiththum 10-05-2015 09:07 PM

Most of the cars I see on the road these days appear to be operating without a driver.

ebacon 10-05-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 288602)
We have autonomous vehicles around here. Google is developing the software and operating them on public roads as part of their testing. I like the idea but I wouldn't want to be forced into not driving myself.

What emotions are at play? Can you think forward to being in an autonomous car and wondering how you got there? What anger, if any, would be yell-worthy?

I can imagine wanting a driver to talk to. And tip.

Boreas 10-05-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacon (Post 288611)
What emotions are at play? Can you think forward to being in an autonomous car and wondering how you got there? What anger, if any, would be yell-worthy?

There's that but it's more a sense that there would be "nobody in control", particularly not me.;) I pride myself on being a significantly above average driver, having been a military chauffeur, a racing driver, a highway safety instructor and also an instructor in terrorism countermeasures for government and industry bigwigs and their chauffeurs.

As you might expect, I take driving very seriously. I'll always trust myself more than I will a collection of ones and zeros.

catswiththum 10-05-2015 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacon (Post 288611)

Initial emotion would be fear of the unknown - will the car crash without me being able to prevent it?

Once/if autonomous cars become common with a good safety record, my question would be: "why do I have this autonomous car? I could have taken the train."

The autonomous car would provide privacy and more room for your own stuff than mass transit, but would eliminate the joy of driving (human control). Unfortunately that would prob. be the safest route, given human road rage and accident statistics.

Pio1980 10-05-2015 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 288589)
Pedestrians?

Designation for fellow walking traffic mates.