Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Unemployment Line (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Pulling off the freeway (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=7508)

piece-itpete 05-14-2014 12:59 PM

Pulling off the freeway

the other day in downtown Akron Ohio, the rubber city, there were two guys working opposite corners: 'will work for food'.

Interestingly, one was talking on a cell phone.

Pete

bobabode 05-14-2014 01:06 PM

Which one did you hire? :rolleyes:

Tom Joad 05-14-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 218332)
the other day in downtown Akron Ohio, the rubber city, there were two guys working opposite corners: 'will work for food'.

Interestingly, one was talking on a cell phone.

Pete

So what?

Most street people have a "burner".

You can get them for ten, fifteen bucks tops.

My cell phone is a burner too by the way.

piece-itpete 05-14-2014 01:19 PM

I use them too. Though it's probably an Obamaphone he was using, I don't know. I have noticed that among the poorer folks phones are a huge status symbol.

Bob, none. They are fishing for money. I once came across a guy after I pulled out of McDonalds, near Christmas, I stopped and asked the guy if he wanted my value meal. He said, 'No thanks, I just ate' :) Looking more closely he was wearing very nice new Nikes.

I've bumped into real cases though. My favorite, back in my wilder days, I was cruising around the hood drinking beer, came up to an intersection, rolled down my window and handed my empty to an old bum collecting cans! Recycling in action :D

Pete

Tom Joad 05-14-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 218339)
I use them too. Though it's probably an Obamaphone he was using, I don't know. I have noticed that among the poorer folks phones are a huge status symbol.

Bob, none. They are fishing for money. I once came across a guy after I pulled out of McDonalds, near Christmas, I stopped and asked the guy if he wanted my value meal. He said, 'No thanks, I just ate' :) Looking more closely he was wearing very nice new Nikes.

I've bumped into real cases though. My favorite, back in my wilder days, I was cruising around the hood drinking beer, came up to an intersection, rolled down my window and handed my empty to an old bum collecting cans! Recycling in action :D

Pete

Those used burner phones get put to good use too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4H6gK81d5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgw99VoCssU

icenine 05-14-2014 01:25 PM

Phones are big deal to everyone....

I think they are commodities now we are way past the point of an iphone being a status symbol. Maybe the poor like sugar on their Wheaties too:rolleyes:

bobabode 05-14-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Pete

They're really Reaganphones Pete.;)

Tom Joad 05-14-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Pete

Well that sure as Hell proves that Americas poor are in the 1% worldwide and we don't need any of these goddamned welfare programs doesn't it Pete?

Tom Joad 05-14-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 218346)
They're really Reaganphones Pete.;)

They don't want to hear that Bob.

I have never yet seen a right winger that was willing to acknowledge that.

piece-itpete 05-14-2014 01:38 PM

Sure does! Man, they'll make a sport out of anything.

I agree that cellphones are everywhere. I guess it was a matter of time.

I'm willing to give Ronnie the credit :)

Pete