Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Religion & Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The Dinosaurs of the GOP (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=5153)

finnbow 12-08-2012 06:55 AM

The Dinosaurs of the GOP

According to a June Gallup report, most Republicans (58 percent) believed that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years. Most Democrats and independents did not agree.

This anti-intellectualism is antediluvian. No wonder a 2009 Pew Research Center report found that only 6 percent of scientists identified as Republican and 9 percent identified as conservative.

Furthermore, a 2005 study found that just 11 percent of college professors identified as Republican and 15 percent identified as conservative. Some argue that this simply represents a liberal bias in academia. But just as strong a case could be made that people who absorb facts easily don’t suffer fools gladly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/08/op...nd-denial.html

I think it's this sort institutional ignorance that drove me from the GOP. Though I'm not really a fan of the Dem's and a number of their policy positions, I'm a big fan of reason.

bobabode 12-08-2012 02:50 PM

I guess education will make more people Democrats or at least Independents. Maybe it was LBJ's fault that the Republican's got stupid? Them hillbillies think Occam's razor is something to shave their backsides with...:eek::D

CarlV 12-08-2012 03:29 PM

Maybe that is the reason why one of the GOP's favorite ideas is of cutting the financing of public education.
A great Moyers observation this week that the GOP brags about not raising taxes for 22 years at the same time they complain about the deficits.
That observation about the Norquist pledge is the execution of an plan by a 12 year old, Grover Norquist, was another good one. :D

Carl

piece-itpete 12-10-2012 08:25 AM

I know enough to know I know nothing.

Pete

Boreas 12-10-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 138234)

Pete

I agree!

John ;)

icenine 12-10-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Pete

Oh you have been reading Plato...so don't act like you are a bumkin Pete:p;)

icenine 12-10-2012 09:19 AM

maybe the internet is a highway for both real knowledge and and fantasy and both will be mixed together...think about it

If aliens found all these files 20,000 years from now how would they determine the "truth" (e.g. World War II for example) from one of say Mezz's posts? In other words how will they know the difference between what really happened and the musings from the blogosphere?

scary

merrylander 12-10-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Pete

And I know the rest.:rolleyes:

whell 12-10-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 138152)
[I]According to a June Gallup report, most Republicans (58 percent) believed that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years.

I really believe that this is the case. Over 10000 years ago, men used to have balls. The rise of liberalism changed that. :p

d-ray657 12-10-2012 10:19 AM

From Crosby Stills & Nash:

"Anything you want to know, just ask me
I'm the world's most opinionated man
I'll give you an answer if I can
Catch one passing through
That feels right for you

Anything you want to know, just ask me
It's worth every cent it costs
And you know it's free for you
Special deal

Anything you want to know
It should be perfectly clear
You see just beneath the surface of the mud
There's more mud here, surprise

Is there anything you want to know
On any subject at all?
I've go time for one more question here
Before I fall"

I've met more than one person that started those lyrics passing through my mind. :eek:

And that was before I read the previous post. :rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray