Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   History (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   What is a "movement"? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=9825)

ebacon 11-03-2015 11:12 PM

What is a "movement"?

At what point does a political emotion coalesce to the point of being a movement?

Tonight I watched The Daily Show and my take away was that the guest asked viewers to ponder the difference between having a hero and subscribing to a movement. Movements live. Heros die.

My first idea of a movement probably happened when I started using the phrase "passing the torch". That was about ten years ago, give or take. At the beginning I wrote on the internet and patted myself on the back for at least being courageous enough to argue with my friends. That was easy. My political debates were limited to managing an online gaming community and watching how spheres of influence formed and popped; like foam. That was easy because it was about math. The debates centred on how votes would be allocated in the community.

But in my heart I knew that there was more than math that decided the victor. Somewhere in the mathematical foam was an element of dance in all of its beauty. In the rhythm. In the foregiveness of mistake. In expecting performance. In feeling guilt for screwing up.

The dance, to me, was the beginning of my political feeling of a movement. The first time that I had to take the stage was when I was in my forties. My employer sent me to Germany on a business trip. It was time for me to stop talking smack and show how to dance on the autobahn. Every stage fear bubbled to the surface as I took the keys of a rental car with was entrusted with the lives and peacefulness of American passengers in a foreign land for the first time.

We navigated together to get away from the airport. That was a little tense. But after that we were cruising on the autobahn at 100 mph in a minivan; in the right lane. That was a Zen moment. I heard my dad say that a soldier's job is to keep his team mates calm. I heard my mom knitting in the passenger seat at 100 mph. I heard ponderings of how dancing at 100 mph can be more peaceful than whatever it is that is supposed to happen at 55.

It was on the autobahn at age 40+ that I finally felt what it meant to be part of a movement. And the movement was about dance. Not numbers.

Love you guys.

donquixote99 11-03-2015 11:37 PM

A movement is a shared feeling. Dance embodies feeling. Numbers, not so much.

Dondilion 11-04-2015 08:01 AM

100mph, with your mom knitting in the passenger seat - are you certain about this recollection?

finnbow 11-04-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 291924)
100mph, with your mom knitting in the passenger seat - are you certain about this recollection?

It's easily possible on the Autobahn, particularly on stretches with light traffic. When I was back in Germany in September, 100-105 mph was the sweet spot for my rented Audi A4 Avant and I frequently had cruise control on at 160-170 kph. My wife and daughter were in the back seat, chatting innocently while oblivious to the speed.

I feel far safer driving 100 mph on the Autobahn than driving 65-70 mph on I-95.

Boreas 11-04-2015 08:34 AM

I think an example of a more or less "pure" movement was (note the past tense) the Occupy Movement. There was never a concrete goal or agenda. The people in Occupy had merely identified what they perceived to be "the enemy", entrenched monetary power, and tried to make their lives miserable by hanging around outside some of the temples of power.

What they lacked was a leader, your "torch bearer", ebacon. Movements can form spontaneously like soap bubbles but, like the bubbles, they pop without leadership and direction.

Tom Joad 11-04-2015 09:49 AM

Fifty people a day.

Quote:

You know, if one person, just one person, does it, they may think he's
Really sick and they won't take him.

And if two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and
They won't take either of them.

And if three people do it! Can you imagine three people walkin' in, singin'
A bar of "Alice's Restaurant" and walkin' out? They may think it's an
Organization!

And can you imagine fifty people a day? I said FIFTY people a day . . .
Walkin' in, singin' a bar of "Alice's Restaurant" and walkin' out? Friends,
They may think it's a MOVEMENT, and that's what it is: THE ALICE'S
RESTAURANT ANTI-MASSACREE MOVEMENT! . . . and all you gotta do to join is to Sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

Pio1980 11-04-2015 11:09 AM

Sometimes what appears a "movement" is just a self-serving temper tantrum, like the Tea Party, supposedly initiated by Rick Santelli's notoriously shameless televised blame-the-victims rant on the mortgage market collapse.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Boreas 11-04-2015 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 291981)
Sometimes what appears a "movement" is just a self-serving temper tantrum, like the Tea Party, supposedly initiated by Rick Santelli's notoriously shameless televised blame-the-victims rant on the mortgage market collapse.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The whole Tea Party thing was orchestrated by the Kochs. The problem is the oligarchs haven't figured out how to put the genie back in the bottle.

donquixote99 11-04-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 291924)

I think you don't always want to be taking ebacon totally literally.

djv8ga 11-04-2015 06:22 PM

"Under President Obama, Democrats have lost 900+ state legislature seats, 12 governors, 69 House seats, 13 Senate seats"
- That's a movement.