Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Religion & Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Clinging to Guns and Religion (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=12283)

finnbow 03-02-2018 07:39 AM

Clinging to Guns and Religion

Obama caught a ration of shit for criticizing the type of rednecks who cling to their guns or religion. It seems he was right on the mark.

NEWFOUNDLAND, Pa. — Crown-wearing worshippers clutching AR-15 rifles drank holy wine and exchanged or renewed wedding vows in a commitment ceremony at a Pennsylvania church on Wednesday, prompting a nearby school to cancel classes.

With state police and a smattering of protesters standing watch outside the church, brides clad in white and grooms in dark suits brought dozens of unloaded AR-15s into World Peace and Unification Sanctuary for a religious event that doubled as an advertisement for the Second Amendment.

The church, which has a worldwide following, believes the AR-15 symbolizes the “rod of iron” in the book of Revelation, and encouraged couples to bring the weapons.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...uns/383815002/

bobabode 03-02-2018 08:20 AM

That so-called church is run by the son of Sun Myung Moon, of the 'Moonie' Church fame.

finnbow 03-02-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 368689)
That so-called church is run by the son of Sun Myung Moon, of the 'Moonie' Church fame.

The same clowns who started the Washington Times, the gawd-awful wingnut alternative to real journalism in the DC area.

BlueStreak 03-03-2018 12:16 AM

Yeah......

Jesus Christ, the gun-toting redneck?

What a bunch of shitheads.

mpholland 03-03-2018 09:34 PM

Pretty sure if Jesus toted a gun there would be no Christianity.

ebacon 03-06-2018 12:03 AM

Gun owners would do well to understand how many decades right and left media have been using us as pawns. The narrowness of the debate is a material source of noise, aka profit, for media companies.

The issue became real for me when I had to disagree with a best friend on Facebook. He reposted some propaganda that shed good light on the memory of playing cowboys and indians. In his defense I imagine that he remembered the play like I did. I imagined playing cowboys and indians from a maintenance or Boy Scout perspective where preserving the tool, in this case the gun, is important to winning. The gun must be at the ready. It must be prepared.

My friend posted that after I had debated with you guys for a few years and began to understand how fast the news works, particularly through political cartoons. Knowing that I had changed my position on any enduring value of the childhood game of cowboys and indians I tried to summarize my position against my best friend in one sentence. In a cartoon of words. It went something like this:

What if Crocodile Dundee was about an Aussie shooting Aboriginals? Would that be a story that you would want to carry on?

Writing that question of disagreement against an armed best friend was among the most difficult writing experiments that I have ever performed.

barbara 03-06-2018 09:01 AM

I disagree that the media has made pawns out of gun owners. Nice talking point.... but the gun nuts (not responsible gun owners, but the fanatical gun nuts) are the ones who have taken this issue and made everyone crazy over it leaving common sense behind.

Pio1980 03-06-2018 09:33 AM

Websearch Dana Loesch to see how the NRA provokes the gun nuts/ 2nd Amendment religion faction.

barbara 03-06-2018 11:10 AM

Well, she is one of those gun nuts. What else would you expect from her.

ebacon 03-08-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 368837)
I disagree that the media has made pawns out of gun owners. Nice talking point.... but the gun nuts (not responsible gun owners, but the fanatical gun nuts) are the ones who have taken this issue and made everyone crazy over it leaving common sense behind.

Barbara,

What is your definition of common sense?

A few years ago I read a book titled "Media Effects Research, A Basic Overview" by Glenn G. Sparks. In a nutshell the book describes cause and effect relationships between media and their audience's reactions. That book taught me the power of media and introduced me to the debate that common sense may be more of a democratic and scientific popularity than a philosophical approach.

Where does your appreciation for common sense lie?