Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics and the Environment (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   C4c (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=5247)

piece-itpete 01-07-2013 11:56 AM

C4c

damaged the enviroment?

"......

According to the Automotive Recyclers Association (ARA), almost 100% of a vehicle can be recycled. Even the fluids can be reused, according to the ARA. Transmission and brake fluids, anti-freeze, oil, gasoline, diesel and Freon from air conditioners are harvested at scrap yards for use in other vehicles. However, still-functioning engines are the most valuable part of a scrapped car. The engine itself takes the most amount of energy and resources to manufacture, so car companies reap both an environmental and cost benefit from being able to recycle engine parts.

Many of the cars that were traded in during Cash for Clunkers were perfectly functioning cars in good condition, and excellent candidates to have their engines and other parts recycled. With the engine destroyed, many clunkers bypassed the recycling companies and went straight to junkyards to be crushed and shredded.

Cars that are shredded are turned into small, palm-sized pieces of metal, which is then sold to manufacturers as raw material. The shredded material can be turned back into car parts, or heavy machinery, steel plates, railroad tracks among other products. For each ton of metal recovered by a shredding facility, roughly 500 pounds of shredder residue are produced, meaning about 3 to 4.5 million tons of shredder residue is sent to landfills every year.

The Department of Transportation reported that Cash for Clunkers was an environmental success. .......

"

.-.-.-.-.-.-.

http://www.emagazine.com/blog/the-ca...kers-conundrum

Pete

Boreas 01-07-2013 12:41 PM

That does it! Obama has to go! Impeachment now!!!

John

piece-itpete 01-07-2013 12:48 PM

Finally!

:D

Pete

icenine 01-07-2013 01:50 PM

Sorry Pete no third rate burgulary here:)

Keep dreaming lol

piece-itpete 01-07-2013 01:59 PM

I hate C4C. Middle class benefits at the expense of the poor. And their bs cover was false to boot.

Notice that's a greenie site.

Pete

icenine 01-07-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 141264)
I hate C4C. Middle class benefits at the expense of the poor. And their bs cover was false to boot.

Pete

It was an effort to stimualte the economy by encouraging the purchase of new automobiles. Some of those middle class people who work at the dealerships may have been saved from becoming poor because of the extra car sales...............

art of the possible Pete.

d-ray657 01-07-2013 04:28 PM

The gas mileage of the American fleet has improved and we are now exporting gasoline. Cars for Cash was one of the tools used to accomplish that.

Regards,

D-Ray

bobabode 01-07-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 141264)

Pete

Generalize much? So what if it's a greenie site? Doesn't mean we liberals line up drooling to get behind them. That would be like saying all righties are acolytes of the unlamented Breitbart...oops bad analogy.:rolleyes::p

;)On the Cash fer Clunkers program, the Ford dealer I went to told me that I couldn't trade my F250 5.8L in for a new V6 Ranger. I had to buy an F150 or bigger. WTF?!?! True story. My F250 is still out there spewing and I bought a used V6 Ranger from the gas co. made in the midwest USA from parts made in god knows where. Too bad it doesn't run on CNG.
So, they didn't want your lard assed Lincoln Town Car, either. Eh, Pete?:)LOL.

BlueStreak 01-07-2013 05:55 PM

Yes, yes, now everything is an "attack on the poor".......... And this coming from the party that has been talking trash about "the poor" for decades. Rightwing pundits running their mouths day and night, telling us we shouldn't have any empathy for the poor because they "......did it to themselves.", blah, blah, blah...on and on---ad nauseum. The current crop of Republicans are a bunch of Randian Objectivist dicks who don't give a flying f**k about the poor, never have and ever will. So, spare us this BS.

Regards,
Dave

merrylander 01-08-2013 07:10 AM

Probably why Les Miz is enjoying a revival, that shining city on the hill did not last very long and we are heading right back to the feudal era.:rolleyes: