Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Auto industry (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Game Changer? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=10212)

bobabode 02-11-2016 11:59 PM

Game Changer?

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...electric-cars/

Wow!

Oerets 02-12-2016 12:02 AM

It's about time...........

Until you factor in road taxes.

We would of had electric car in the masses long ago if they could of figured out that one.

Barney

CarlV 02-12-2016 10:41 AM

Page won't load, oh well.

Carl

Rajoo 02-12-2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 301339)
It's about time...........

Until you factor in road taxes.

We would of had electric car in the masses long ago if they could of figured out that one.

Barney

Sorry I disagree. It is the battery technology that kept us behind nor was there any battery development work done in the US. Then along came lithium-ion batteries, probably with the rapid advance of hand held devices and the industry took off.

We have an early 2000's electric forklift that uses sealed lead acid cells and you should see the size and weight of the battery pack, weighs close to thousand pounds!

Tesla batteries are made by Panasonic. Will there be a Technics SL 1200 Mk LIO that uses lithium ion batteries. Now that would be cool. :)

Boreas 02-12-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamOn (Post 301393)
Sorry I disagree. It is the battery technology that kept us behind nor was there any battery development work done in the US. Then along came lithium-ion batteries, probably with the rapid advance of hand held devices and the industry took off.

We have an early 2000's electric forklift that uses sealed lead acid cells and you should see the size and weight of the battery pack, weighs close to thousand pounds!

Tesla batteries are made by Panasonic. Will there be a Technics SL 1200 Mk LIO that uses lithium ion batteries. Now that would be cool. :)

I think the issue Barney was speaking to is the difficulty figuring out how to replace the inevitable lost revenue from gasoline taxes. They're a huge contributor to highway construction and maintenance and would need to be replaced somehow. In the present political climate, any measures such as a surcharge on your electricity bill and/or a dedicated tax on charging station transactions would never get through Congress.

nailer 02-12-2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 301338)

Not a game changer. For example, I'm not ready to trade my V8 for an electric motor and I'm more progressive than most. :)

Our path to a warmer world with reduced living space is set if you believe mainstream science.

Rajoo 02-12-2016 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 301399)
I think the issue Barney was speaking to is the difficulty figuring out how to replace the inevitable lost revenue from gasoline taxes. They're a huge contributor to highway construction and maintenance and would need to be replaced somehow. In the present political climate, any measures such as a surcharge on your electricity bill and/or a dedicated tax on charging station transactions would never get through Congress.

Based on miles driven and this can be easily monitored remotely. These days all of our utilities are measured remotely.

Boreas 02-12-2016 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamOn (Post 301401)
Based on miles driven and this can be easily monitored remotely. These days all of our utilities are measured remotely.

There are many ways to do it but try getting it through Congress. That's the problem.

donquixote99 02-12-2016 12:36 PM

I think having a congress that will do nothing it should do is a worse problem than a prospective shortage of highway maintenance funding.

Boreas 02-12-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 301413)
I think having a congress that will do nothing it should do is a worse problem than a prospective shortage of highway maintenance funding.

Since one is the result of the other, comparisons are meaningless.