Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Dream Home. (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=12172)

Ike Bana 12-31-2017 08:28 AM

Dream Home.

Given the funds, this is the kind of place we would have...fabulous.

Longbranch Washington, Cabin on Puget Sound.

donquixote99 12-31-2017 08:43 AM

Super nice. Modern arty but avoids the 'sterile sculpture' look. The setting, of course, is to die for. Love the bedroom! Only thing I didn't like is the too-clever porch chair in the last pic.

finnbow 12-31-2017 09:45 AM

Nice, but putting a flat roof on a home on the Puget Sound is folly. It's not a matter of whether it will leak, but when. And when it does, finding the exact point of entry for the leak is somewhere between difficult and impossible (and largely irreparable in the rainy season). This home is a prime example of form over function. In due time, the owner will be kicking himself in the ass for his uninformed decision to put on a flat roof instead of some sort of sloped roof (gable, hip or shed).

Chicks 12-31-2017 10:59 AM

Single-ply PVC roofing forms a fully sealed membrane good for 20 years, but expensive. I grew up in the PNW. It’s clouded over much of the year, so living under the trees like that would be dark and gloomy. You really want a house that catches as much sun as possible. Summers are very mild. Mosquitoes love the forest, not to mention the fire danger in Summer. And skunks and raccoons. I’d move it towards the lake, out of the trees.

finnbow 12-31-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 365662)
Single-ply PVC roofing forms a fully sealed membrane good for 20 years, but expensive...

... provided, of course, that all seams, flashing, penetrations, etc. are executed correctly and falling tree limbs don't puncture the (single, non-redundant) membrane. IMHO, houses and small buildings shouldn't have flat roofs. Save them for warehouses and Walmarts.

Dondilion 12-31-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 365662)
Single-ply PVC roofing forms a fully sealed membrane good for 20 years, but expensive. I grew up in the PNW. It’s clouded over much of the year, so living under the trees like that would be dark and gloomy. You really want a house that catches as much sun as possible. Summers are very mild. Mosquitoes love the forest, not to mention the fire danger in Summer. And skunks and raccoons. I’d move it towards the lake, out of the trees.

Most definitely... out of the trees.

BlueStreak 12-31-2017 01:47 PM

Nice, but, I like something more in the Tudor style in a place with less trees, less clouds and nice, dark and clear night skies......

To each his own.

Dondilion 12-31-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 365669)
place with less trees, less clouds and nice, dark and clear night skies......

The astronomer:
Yeah! Great conditions for observing the rings of Saturn. :D

donquixote99 12-31-2017 03:11 PM

It's not too deep in the trees. Sometime one sacrifices some things for other aesthetics. I like trees.

To each his own of course.

And a sloped roof would probably be advantageous....

nailer 01-02-2018 04:37 PM

Those roofs appear to be slightly tilted.