Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   If you're ever on a jury . . . (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=10709)

d-ray657 06-17-2016 07:00 PM

If you're ever on a jury . . .

I just spent most of the past month participating a couple of jury trials. I can't really go into the details. The fascinating thing about it was that, after both trials, the jurors consented to come back into the courtroom to talk to the attorneys about the case (several attorneys were involved). They had questions about evidence that wasn't admitted, and let us know what was important to them. The members of both juries obviously took their responsibilities very seriously. I think that is why they were willing to talk with counsel afterword. We learned a great deal from their feedback, and I think they learned plenty from the process.

So if you are ever called to jury duty and are asked to talk to the attorneys afterword, consider saying yes. It will help resolve questions that you have and provide tremendous insight to the practitioners.

Regards,

D-Ray

Rajoo 06-17-2016 07:50 PM

Thanks for letting us know and quite interesting. I was not aware that the jurors were allowed to discuss the case with counsel after the judgement.

I have never been on a jury but have attended a few jury trials (county level) out of interest in our legal system.

barbara 06-17-2016 08:16 PM

I just got a jury duty notice for the middle of July.
It would be an interesting experience.

mpholland 06-17-2016 08:22 PM

I've never been on a Jury. I got a notice in the mail once, but it was forwarded from an old address right after I moved into a different county. I always thought it would have been an interesting experience.

donquixote99 06-17-2016 08:33 PM

Only time i went, it was a civil trial, some landlord-tenant thing I gathered, because they asked if anyone had ever been involved in a landlord-tennant lawsuit, and sent them home. We messed around for the morning, then the parties settled and the trial was called -off. Never got to actually picking jurors.

merrylander 06-18-2016 06:02 AM

I was sort of on a jury as I was the standby in case one of the twelve got sick. None did so I was excused. The nxt time I was to serve I was 75 and so was excused.

Boreas 06-18-2016 09:56 AM

I did a murder trial in Brunswick, NJ, actually a retrial but we weren't permitted to know that since the prior verdict could have colored our judgment.

Rajoo 06-18-2016 05:28 PM

The county we live in seems pretty sophisticated. I had jury summons last year but all I had to do was stay on call and check their website. I was excused from jury duty in the afternoon. Slick if you ask me instead of driving to the courthouse which is 25 miles and then having to wait to see if I get called in.

MrPots 06-18-2016 05:34 PM

I've been called for jury duty 3 times and it was as you described Raj. I was on call for a week and checked the courthouse web site every evening to determine if I had to show up at the courthouse the next day. A good system. Never had to judge.

Pio1980 06-18-2016 06:11 PM

I was called once, excused for being hearing impaired.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk