Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics and the Environment (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Moyers latest episode on climate change (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=5517)

bobabode 03-17-2013 10:56 PM

Moyers latest episode on climate change

Anyone else see this? A Yalie psychologist was expounding on how the subject of climate change might be a good entre` back into relevance for the Republican party. He even cited scripture about how it was a christian virtue to care for the good earth.;)

merrylander 03-18-2013 06:19 AM

No both local PBS stations are having pledge month, at least it seems like a month. I really cannot undertstand the mentality that replaces the very program we want with someone like that snake oil saleslady Suze Orman and expects me to watch her and send in money. We are already sustaining members (who do you think gave them that idea) so we just stick a DVD in.

Oerets 03-18-2013 09:12 AM

I had to DVR it due to the drive so was being aired at 0200 this morning.

My sister the TP supporter Rush listener, sent me a picture of the first real snow we have had all year. Not even a 1/2" but somehow the snow disproves global warming. Not the fact it was in the hi 60's* in January and February. So the GOP can't all of a sudden jump on the global warming bandwagon. Their supporters and neither the oil, gas and coal industries will not let them.

Barney

icenine 03-18-2013 09:38 AM

Keep the masses worried about the "debt crisis" while the Artic Circle is melting and a fabled myth from the 16th Century (The Northwest Passage) is now a 21st Century reality.

Isn't strange how even though it is becoming a minority party the GOP still commands the media attention. The media is determining what the truth is, whether it is true or not.

piece-itpete 03-18-2013 10:20 AM

If the causes of climate change are man made we're screwed anyway.

Have a nice day :D

Pete

bobabode 03-27-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 150961)
If the causes of climate change are man made we're screwed anyway.

Have a nice day :D

Pete

Sorry for taking so long to reply, Pete. I was getting ready for fire season. You know, the one that comes after spring around here? Jim Morrison talked about it way back when in his song, L.A. Woman. "Hills are filled with fire."
Yeh, that seems to be happening more and more these days. The brush grows up around people's houses and the lazy ones don't cut it down and voila! Summer comes and that crap dries to tinder and a stray spark sets it off. Before you know it a freakin' firestorm is burning up hundreds of homes and every firefighter west of the Mississipi descends on our area to put it out.

With the western bark beetle infestations goin' on from Colorado to the Pacific Ocean we are having a grand old time, cutting down the pine trees that are dying at an alarming rate. If only my pissant gas fireplace could burn the logs... Now, the Air Quality Management District is trying to outlaw burning wood in the fire rings we have at the beach around here. Oh well. I'm sure you're wondering when spring is coming to Ohio. I hope you don't get too many tornadoes.:eek:

Back on topic, when Lake Erie floods the Cuyahoga into your back yard? Think back and curse me for being right. Cheers.:rolleyes:

merrylander 03-28-2013 06:47 AM

Whoa Bob, you don't ever want to burn pine logs in a fireplacce. We cut down 23 black pines that were dieseased and I did not even consider making firewood from them.

BlueStreak 03-28-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 152033)
Whoa Bob, you don't ever want to burn pine logs in a fireplacce. We cut down 23 black pines that were dieseased and I did not even consider making firewood from them.

And the pitch lines the walls of your chimney and creates a runaway fire hazard.
Who doesn't know that?

Dave

piece-itpete 03-28-2013 07:53 AM

Midwestern Californians? Sorry Bob I couldn't resist :D

My yard generates a lot of Silver Maple. Awesome outdoor fire wood, once thoroughly cured it burns hot, lots of color, pops and crackles a lot. My bro-in-law wanted some for his house, I told him not to but he insisted. Burnt his new carpet :rolleyes:

Bob I'm high enough. I don't have to worry about flooding. Besides (everyone groans) we can't stop it anyway.

Pete

merrylander 03-28-2013 08:20 AM

We are 400 feet above sea level and 70 feet above the 100 year flood plain, what me worry?