Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Sotomayor (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=104)

noonereal 05-26-2009 04:58 PM

Sotomayor

I think the nomination of a minority women is long over do.
In her own words:
“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

I agree.

Thoughts?

Sandy G 05-26-2009 05:56 PM

Why don't we ever worry about what kind of legal INTELLECT a person has than focusing so damn much about how many blacks, whites, womens, Klingons, Aardvarks, et al, ad nauseum, on the court ?

wajobu 05-26-2009 07:42 PM

I'm ready, unless the "party of no" blocks it. Then the Court can focus on straightening the Prop 8 mess in CA, amongst the many other injustices out there.

noonereal 05-26-2009 07:47 PM

I believe the though on a court appointees now is that they need to be more than a one dimensional academic scholar.
A women like Sotomayor will not be questioned as to her legal intellect as that is clear from her resume. The added dimension she will bring is an understanding of life in the United States from a different perspective which is very representative of a large segment of the population.

Great choice, IMO.

noonereal 05-26-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wajobu (Post 1068)
I'm ready, unless the "party of no" blocks it. Then the Court can focus on straightening the Prop 8 mess in CA, amongst the many other injustices out there.

think I'll spin a cd,

how about some Was (Not Was) ?

Semi-interesting Week from Boo?

I think that would be considered political. ;)

Charles 05-26-2009 09:52 PM

Sotomayer

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonereal (Post 1063)
I think the nomination of a minority women is long over do.
In her own words:
“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

I agree.

Thoughts?

As someone who has indicated that she will legislate from the bench, suggesting that she will use her personal experiences as precedent, I can't say that I'm in favor of her. Certainly not on the USSC.

Whatever happened to justice is blind and the letter of the law? I always thought that a good judge was one who could leave his personal feelings outside of the courtroom, especially when serving on the USSC.

Chas

Sandy G 05-26-2009 10:39 PM

We should ALWAYS trust a wise, wonderful woman of the Latina persuasion over a dusty old document written nearly 250 years ago by a bunch of dead, rich, white guys who obviously didn't have a clue as to what they were doing, except to when it came to Opressing Wise, Wonderful Women & African-AmericansandLatinasandblahblahblah....

JJIII 05-27-2009 05:39 AM

I am in the same camp as Sandy and Charles. There should be no legislation from the Bench. There is another branch of government assigned that duty.

noonereal 05-27-2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 1078)
We should ALWAYS trust a wise, wonderful woman of the Latina persuasion over a dusty old document written nearly 250 years ago by a bunch of dead, rich, white guys who obviously didn't have a clue as to what they were doing, except to when it came to Opressing Wise, Wonderful Women & African-AmericansandLatinasandblahblahblah....

I guess you are right, "a dusty old document written nearly 250 years ago by a bunch of dead, rich, white guys" should be interpreted by a bunch of the richest old white guys alive today rather than "Wise, Wonderful Women & African-AmericansandLatinas."

noonereal 05-27-2009 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJIII (Post 1081)
I am in the same camp as Sandy and Charles. There should be no legislation from the Bench. There is another branch of government assigned that duty.

I think we all agree that there should be no legislation written from the bench.