Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Jeb Bush pushes to ‘phase out’ Medicare (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=9412)

Tom Joad 07-23-2015 12:06 PM

Jeb Bush pushes to ‘phase out’ Medicare

And this is the so called "Moderate Establishment" candidate for the GOP.:rolleyes:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...e-out-medicare

Quote:

“The left needs to join the conversation, but they haven’t. I mean, when [Rep. Paul Ryan] came up with, one of his proposals as it relates to Medicare, the first thing I saw was a TV ad of a guy that looked just like Paul Ryan … that was pushing an elderly person off the cliff in a wheelchair. That’s their response.

“And I think we need to be vigilant about this and persuade people that our, when your volunteers go door to door, and they talk to people, people understand this. They know, and I think a lot of people recognize that we need to make sure we fulfill the commitment to people that have already received the benefits, that are receiving the benefits. But that we need to figure out a way to phase out this program for others and move to a new system that allows them to have something – because they’re not going to have anything.”

Remember, Jeb Bush is the ostensible moderate candidate in the massive GOP presidential field. It says something important about Republican politics in 2015 when the most mainstream candidate is also the candidate who wants to scrap Medicare altogether.

nailer 07-23-2015 12:12 PM

It's a good ploy. He won't lose the Republican old fart vote, and most people I meet under 50 don't believe Medicare or SS will be around by the time they become eligible.

Tom Joad 07-23-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nailer (Post 279060)
It's a good ploy. He won't lose the Republican old fart vote,

You're right.

Most old farts are Republicans with the "I've got mine, fuck you" attitude.

Me, on the other hand, I don't go for the "Don't worry gramps, we won't take away your Medicare, we just want to fuck it up for your kids and grandkids."

Tom Joad 07-23-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

most people I meet under 50 don't believe Medicare or SS will be around by the time they become eligible.

It sure as Hell won't be if they vote Republican, that's for damn sure.

bobabode 07-23-2015 03:56 PM

This is why the radical right should never be allowed into the White House again. Make no mistake, the so-called moderates like Bush and Kasich are deeply conservative and radically so.

icenine 07-23-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

It's a good ploy. He won't lose the Republican old fart vote, and most people I meet under 50 don't believe Medicare or SS will be around by the time they become eligible.

Most kids in their 40s realize that either Medicare exists or THEY will have to pay for mom and dad's end of life care. This is about as bonehead a move as one could make. I guess he does not know why people were not going to let Paul Ryan become VP.

Rajoo 07-23-2015 04:51 PM

It's astounding to me that GOP/right wing is ready to point problems and scrap social programs but never once offer an alternative other than 'we will come up with something'. First it was with Obamacare, now Medicare. And they consistently get away with it.

icenine 07-23-2015 05:02 PM

Since when is getting rid of Medicare a popular idea anyway? I mean who is actually for that? I think it is the influence of people behind the superpacs making sure their candidate pays lip service to some harebrained idea so as to continue receiving financial backing from the pac. Only Adelson or the Kochs would be behind ditching Medicare.

Boreas 07-23-2015 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 279099)
Since when is getting rid of Medicare a popular idea anyway? I mean who is actually for that? I think it is the influence of people behind the superpacs making sure their candidate pays lip service to some harebrained idea so as to continue receiving financial backing from the pac. Only Adelson or the Kochs would be behind ditching Medicare.

The more stupid and selfish among the stupid, selfish teabaggers. They don't want "their money" paying for anyone else's health care or anything else.

bobabode 07-23-2015 06:08 PM

The populist sentiment blooming across the land has these plutocrats shaking in their boots. Hell, even the damn Repubs are paying lip service.

It's way past time for the Repubs to go back to their roots ala Teddy Roosevelt and Eisenhower. They used to be for a fair shake for the public good.