Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Unemployment Line (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Retire and die (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=10522)

BlueStreak 04-29-2016 12:28 AM

By the way; Earlier this month I attended the 100th birthday of an Uncle who retired in the 1970s. Note that he IS NOT DEAD. My father retired t 68 and lived to be 92.

So, stick your study where the sun don't shine, Was. It's vapid and pointless.

Wasillaguy 04-29-2016 01:17 AM

Wow Dave, you're spunky tonight.
Couple things-
1. I don't do boardrooms. They don't even invite me to meetings any more. Don't like what I have to say. I earn my living supporting and providing technical guidance to union guys, and they know I got their backs too.
2. It's not my study. It was done by one of them enlightened schools of higher edumacation, in Oregon no less.
3. Sounds like your uncle, and many more people, could have contributed a lot more to society had they sought out a profession they were passionate about.

donquixote99 04-29-2016 06:54 AM

Contribute to society my ass. Who gets all marginal increases in wealth nowadays? It ain't 'society.'

Who gets richer if attitudes against retired folks can be inflamed, so they can be shamed and starved into staying in harness?

Oerets 04-29-2016 07:08 AM

The more money the more access to a better diet and health care......

When one reaches this decision, ask yourself this question. What the remaining years are worth? They can not be known or given back. There is a lot more one can enjoy and do at 62 then 70. What good will more money do you if you are in a assisted living home at 71 wishing you had taken retirement earlier?

Barney

Tom Joad 04-29-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 311878)
What is it with Republicans trash-talking retired people? You want to work forever, wearing out your knee pads under the board room table? Fine. Whatever trips your trigger........

It's propaganda.

It's designed to sell you on their Master Plan to gut medicare and social security.

Two of my best buddies where I worked both had more time in than me.

And they were always talking about how as soon as they got their 30 years in they would retire.

Well their 30 year anniversaries rolled around and they both decided to stay just a little bit longer to fatten up their pensions.

So when my time came I bailed and they were still working.

Well guess what?

They're both dead.

One crapped out on the job.

The other got to collect that bigger pension for about 5 months.

d-ray657 04-29-2016 08:41 AM

I have spent a good part of my career representing workers in the construction industry. They fight hard to keep the ability to retire for people who have put 30 years in the trade. Much of their work simply wears out a body. The work that they do is essential to progress, so by the time they retire, they have earned it.

My work doesn't take the same physical toll, and I enjoy it. I will likely keep my hand in it in some way until I kick the bucket.

Regards,

D-Ray

icenine 04-29-2016 08:44 AM

I think it is silly to worry about a 11 percent more chance of dying once you reach 65.

BlueStreak 04-29-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 311884)
Contribute to society my ass. Who gets all marginal increases in wealth nowadays? It ain't 'society.'

Who gets richer if attitudes against retired folks can be inflamed, so they can be shamed and starved into staying in harness?

Oh, you're just jealous of their wealth!:rolleyes:

BlueStreak 04-29-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 311886)
It's propaganda.

It's designed to sell you on their Master Plan to gut medicare and social security.

Two of my best buddies where I worked both had more time in than me.

And they were always talking about how as soon as they got their 30 years in they would retire.

Well their 30 year anniversaries rolled around and they both decided to stay just a little bit longer to fatten up their pensions.

So when my time came I bailed and they were still working.

Well guess what?

They're both dead.

One crapped out on the job.

The other got to collect that bigger pension for about 5 months.

^^^Truth spoken.^^^

nailer 04-29-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 311894)
I think it is silly to worry about a 11 percent more chance of dying once you reach 65.

You got that right.

My primary care physician is trying to scare me into taking blood pressure and cholesterol reducing medications. His medical group has a computer program that calculates a bunch of alarming risks (based on my data) which are displayed on a screen.