Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Hello from NY (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=5545)

MikeG22 03-23-2013 11:42 PM

Hello from NY

Hi all, thought I would join in on some of the discussion here. I am from NY, quite unhappily. This state is a wreck. I always leaned right in my thinking on issues but lately can't stand the party, not that I ever considered myself a member of it. Not really sure what you would politically call me since I take many different stances from different sides. Not an huge Obama fan, but at the same time was not going to drink the Romney-Paul kool aid. I am a union worker and after seeing the crap coming from that camp on banishing unions it will be awhile before I consider the right a friend of mine.

In any case I am happy to finally join this site and be able to offer some input whether you agree or not.

bobabode 03-24-2013 12:01 AM

Welcome, Mike. Enjoy your time here.

BlueStreak 03-24-2013 12:31 AM

Welcome from Virginia!
Come on in, have a seat.

These are bewildering times, arent they?

Dave

Oerets 03-24-2013 05:14 AM

Welcome aboard!

Barney

merrylander 03-24-2013 06:55 AM

Welcome from Maryland. You think you have problems? I am a former union rep and a former mamber of the Conservativ Party in Canada.

MikeG22 03-24-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 151527)
Welcome from Maryland. You think you have problems? I am a former union rep and a former mamber of the Conservativ Party in Canada.

Glad to see more union guys current or former. I am actually a water/sewer municipal worker for a local government. We are constantly bashed because ugh god forbid your union and live on tax money. They don't complain when shit is backing up at 3 in the morning but when it comes time to pay, watch out. Our union was tough for us a few years ago when everything seemed to hit the fan. Our contract was over for two years and were at a stalemate in negotiations. The union held their ground despite dumping money on lawyer fees that they knew they would never recover and got us a very acceptable contract.

I am a firm believer in organized labor. I think it is a driving force behind me pulling away from the right. This last election really showed who your ally was if your a union worker.

JJIII 03-24-2013 08:18 AM

Welcome, Mike.

merrylander 03-24-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeG22 (Post 151534)
Glad to see more union guys current or former. I am actually a water/sewer municipal worker for a local government. We are constantly bashed because ugh god forbid your union and live on tax money. They don't complain when shit is backing up at 3 in the morning but when it comes time to pay, watch out. Our union was tough for us a few years ago when everything seemed to hit the fan. Our contract was over for two years and were at a stalemate in negotiations. The union held their ground despite dumping money on lawyer fees that they knew they would never recover and got us a very acceptable contract.

I am a firm believer in organized labor. I think it is a driving force behind me pulling away from the right. This last election really showed who your ally was if your a union worker.

What so many seem to forget is that the unions were the reason we used to have a middle class. It was that middle class that consumed goods made here and drove 70% of the economy. Talk about shooting oneself in the foot. Dumb and dumber.

finnbow 03-24-2013 08:38 AM

Welcome, Mike. Post away.

BlueStreak 03-24-2013 09:13 AM

I was once an active union member, (UFCW) serving on the contract negotiating committee and volunteering for things, supporting other unions during strikes and so on. I grew up in a union family (UAW). My father worked for Chrysler and others, brother, cousin Aunts, Uncles...worked for General Motors in Ohio.

Yes, interesting for all of their bluster about so many other issues, the first thing the right did after the 2010 election cycle was wrap its tentacles around the neck of the working class and squeeze tight. The sad part is is that so many STILL don't see it.

Dave