Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Audiokarma Temp (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   So a subwoofer does make a difference (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=7850)

d-ray657 07-14-2014 06:48 PM

So a subwoofer does make a difference

My son left a little subwoofer behind when he left for school, and has never reclaimed it. I have a pair of Acoustic Research Connoisseur 35T, which are smallish for floor speakers - 3 way with an 8" woofer, 6.5" mid and titanium tweeter - so they don't shake the room with bass. I was surprised that adding the sub actually had more effect on acoustic stuff than on Led Zepplin. Just finished playing Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See, and the clarity was amazing. I suppose the sub frees up the main speakers to really deliver on the mids and highs. The setup did a good job on FZ's Apostrophe too. Now listening to a Smithsonian Jazz Piano collection. Maybe a little Esparanza Spaulding next.

Regards,

D-Ray

JJIII 07-14-2014 07:02 PM

Oh God, next thing you know, Don will be driving a little Japanese car with fart can mufflers turning about nine thousand RPM!:eek::D

bobabode 07-14-2014 07:07 PM

Apostasy! Real bass starts at 12" and above.:D

Nah, it's cool that you're enjoying it Don.

My DCM TF400s produce an amazing amount of bass from dinky 6" woofers. I might have to rotate them back in from the garage one day.

BlueStreak 07-14-2014 07:27 PM

They can make a huge difference. But, I prefer the type of sub that's built into your mains. Done right it is awe inspiring.

Dave

finnbow 07-14-2014 07:42 PM

I'm a sub user in my main system, primarily due to room constraints. As a result, my speaker set-up has a very high WAF and sounds pretty damned good. That said, I'd probably prefer a larger full-range speaker system in a different room.

Dondilion 07-14-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 230667)
Maybe a little Esparanza Spaulding next.

Regards,

D-Ray

D, you are on the right track. :D

d-ray657 07-14-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 230677)
I'm a sub user in my main system, primarily due to room constraints. As a result, my speaker set-up has a very high WAF and sounds pretty damned good. That said, I'd probably prefer a larger full-range speaker system in a different room.

Precisely. This is the living room system, and my wife loves the look of the AR's - largely because you can see over them when we have company. The larger speakers are in the man-cave and the den.

Regards,

D-Ray

d-ray657 07-14-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJIII (Post 230669)
Oh God, next thing you know, Don will be driving a little Japanese car with fart can mufflers turning about nine thousand RPM!:eek::D

If I did that, I would have to park around the block whenever I go to see clients.

Regards,

D-Ray

Oerets 07-14-2014 08:54 PM

I'm in the camp of more speakers the better. How could adding a sub not be beneficial? Set in at 50 to 80 HZ helps I noticed for me.

But my only system with a sub is the one for one TV.

Barney

Rajoo 07-15-2014 02:47 AM

I use dual driver M&K subs in two systems, low pass set at 45Hz even though both pairs of speakers have 15" woofers in them. Subs reach way below where the mains roll off. Above 50 Hz the sub becomes directional.