Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   History (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   How will Dubya be viewed by future historians? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=3729)

finnbow 03-12-2012 01:51 PM

How will Dubya be viewed by future historians?

Before you start a narrative response, put him in the appropriate quartile.

I'd put him in the bottom quartile (big surprise, eh?). Between Iraq, irresponsible tax cuts, the Great Recession, and assaults on constitutional freedoms, he'll rank down there with Garfield, Polk, Buchanan and Wilson, I bet. Maybe worse.

neophyte 03-12-2012 02:03 PM

I concur, Pat. He was a feckless, shortsighted boob of a CIC, and the most transparent puppet thus far of the bunch Eisenhower warned us about that still has this country by the throat.

Where will history rank him? If the steadfast tradition of revisionist history in our country is the arbiter, he will fare well. The rest of the world knows better, thankfully.

piece-itpete 03-12-2012 02:06 PM

Careful fellas - Obama has continued many of his programs!

I'm not going to call it yet. So much has to do with how the ME looks in a few more years.

Pete

BlueStreak 03-12-2012 02:10 PM

Depends on who you ask. I'm sure Conservapedia has him emitting farts that smell like Gardenia, and the father of all things wise and just.

I think he's a stooge.

Historians, on average, will probably view him as the POTUS version of the guy on "Idiot Abroad".

Make of that what you will.

Dave

CarlV 03-12-2012 02:29 PM

At the near bottom.
Bush's administration in 50 years will be remembered for all those epic failures noted and maybe more for long term results. Mission accomplished. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 93807)
Careful fellas - Obama has continued many of his programs!

It is not as bad as keeping the morons like Geitner that helped get us into this mess.

Carl

piece-itpete 03-12-2012 02:51 PM

Agreed, no change, tax cuts, gitmo, patriot act, no regulation of derivatives, civilian casualties, what else can we 'etc'? ;)

So in many ways Bush and Obama share certain things... the left should be very careful what they wish for :cool:

Pete

noonereal 03-12-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 93796)
how will dubya be viewed by future historians?

lol.....

Zeke 03-12-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow
How will Dubya be viewed by future historians?

As a relatively decent and honest man who rose well above his capabilities.

I hated his Darth Cheney politics but never had animosity towards GWB as a human.

bhunter 03-12-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 93796)
Before you start a narrative response, put him in the appropriate quartile.

I'd put him in the bottom quartile (big surprise, eh?). Between Iraq, irresponsible tax cuts, the Great Recession, and assaults on constitutional freedoms, he'll rank down there with Garfield, Polk, Buchanan and Wilson, I bet. Maybe worse.

A middle of the pack President. Half the nation was already pissed off at him after the election. That, together with the dot com bubble bursting and 911, ended what could have been a good presidency. I would also place considerable blame on Clinton for our weakened intelligence agencies. Bush dealt effectively with an array of problems. Sure he didn't make all the best choices, but in a lot of cases, he did what was necessary. For all the vile hate that Obama supporters tossed at Bush, their savior, Obama, now seems to agree with quite a number of Bush policies.

Bigerik 03-12-2012 05:08 PM

Bottom quarter. One of the worst presidents the US has seen. Took the US in his presidency from world financial and military leader, to financial basket case, and a spent military power. Launched massive wars, none of which were successful. Sent the full force of the US government to catch one man and failed at it. Internationally, made the trust level of the US likely the lowest ever. Personally, he is going to go down as a laughing stock. Has there ever been a President with lesser oratorial skills?

His ties to the Saudis will be called into question.

Finally, I think his personal bravery will be called into question. At a time when the US people needed him, when the country was under attack, he sat and waited with a bunch of kindergarten kids.